Anti--virus and spyware advice, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, as I noted earlier above, if I do little, if any, P2P work, the chances of me needing torrents would be slim.

Hence, I should be okay with SPI. (That's a guess, not a statement of fact :) ).

Yes, that is 100% correct. As I stated, it's typically only torrents that cause issue with SPI. If you don't download torrents, you will be just fine to leave it on.

Originally Posted By: dkryan

I purchased ESET's NOD32 and a registry cleaner (SmithMicro's Check-it, I believe) at MicroCenter.

Just curious, but how much did MicroCenter whack you for the NOD32?

I've never found MicroCenter's SW prices all that competitive, and NOD32 can be had rather cheaply from online vendors. Might want to keep that in mind at subscription renewal time.

As aside: my in-law's laptop was down this past weekend due to a McAfee disaster. Took her all day to get it up again. She brushed off my advice to buy NOD32, "the McAfee service is free". Is it really free? I know MY weekend was.

Volvo....:

Sorry for the delay in answering. I paid $39 for the NOD32 A/V-A/S software.

I was in MicroCenter to pick up a SanDisk 16-GB flash drive for my wife and saw it on the shelf, so I bought it.

Downloads of software have been a problem for me on my desktop, which is where the NOD32 was headed. Somehow, I have a conflict between M/S Office 2003 Pro and Adobe reader.

Whenever I download a file (especially an executable file), it ends up with a ".doc" extension after the ".exe." extension. After saving it to a specific folder, it will not run as an executable file and install the software. I've even renamed the file BEFORE it was saved to the hard drive and the ".doc" file type STILL appears!

Also, I rarely can open a Word document (either an attachment or a file on my hard drive) by "double-clicking" on it. Doing so results in an Adobe window opening and an error message regarding not being able to open that Adobe file. I have to "right-click" on the file name and tell it to "open."

I uninstalled Adobe 7.0, then began to uninstall Office 2003 Pro, but a window offered me a "de-bugging" option, which I chose. I reloaded Adobe reader (9.0 now) and tried to open Word docs by double-clicking. Same problem. And software downloads that include ".exe" files still end up with a ".doc" extension.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but knowing the above, I believe you can understand why I ponied up a few dollars more and installed it "the easy way," i.e., via CD.

That price is actually pretty good for one machine. I presume that's a one-year subscription.

While NOD32 is an exceptional AV, it is not necessarily as capable at ASW combat as the best standalone programs. The bigger threat today is spyware, so I'd still get a dedicated top-grade ASW program on there as well.

I can say that it's still way to slow... We just bought a bunch of copies for our systems at work and it still is a pig on resources...

I like AVG way better. Much easier on resources and a license for 2 years is cheaper than Norton for 1, plus it has been rated better than Norton.

grin2.gif
Just my opinion though...

I like AVG also. I found out that you pay a heavy price with Norton and McAfee since some older computers would just bog down. I buy a 5 computer license for AVG with Firewall for $75 for two years. I have some computers still using dial-up and AVG worked well. My new laptop came with Norton and surprisingly it seemed OK. Cannot tell much difference in the performance of the computer compared to AVG 8.0 I am now using.

You can just buy 1 license with AVG and install it on multiple computers... It works fine and doesn't cause a "This license is already in use" error like Norton!
grin2.gif

How do you buy 1 license and use it on multiple computers? Legally?

The NIS 2009, while touted as being far better than previous NIS products, still slowed down my HP six year old desktop noticeably. I've maxed out the RAM with a whopping 1GB and I'm using the original processor (AMD) from 2003, so why should I expect anything better in terms of performance?

My Toshiba laptop has 2 GB RAM with an Intel duo-core processor. It, too, is running NIS 2009, with zero problems. Windows XP Media Edition.

As for A/V and A/S, I went with a recommendation earlier in this thread. I've also heard good things about AVG. But my understanding from reading the ESET NO32 info is it provides solid A/V AND A/S protection.

And at some point, those of us who are "not in the business" have to make an informed choice and move forward with it.

I hope that ESET meets my user needs and I can stick with one vendor for a long time, versus my "shopping" Live OneCare, Trend Micro, NIS, and now ESET.

It's not legal... But neither is copying music or burning DVD movies... I just put it on my own computer, I don't share it with friends etc... God if I paid for everything according to EULA's I would have filed for bankruptcy 10 times over I'm sure.
grin2.gif

I use AVG which I pay for, and SpyBot which is free and I haven't had a problem on any of my computers ever... Pretty affordable solution in my opinion and it keeps the computers running fast.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I can say that it's still way to slow... We just bought a bunch of copies for our systems at work and it still is a pig on resources...

The Enteprise version and the single-user PC version have very little in common.

I just did another installation of the program for one of my sons, after removing McAfee AntiVirus from his computer, and it corresponded to PC Magazine's review:

"This past spring, Symantec Senior Vice President Rowan Trollope detailed Symantec's all-out effort to reduce the Norton suite's impact on performance. And, what do you know—it worked! Norton Internet Security 2009 ..... affects performance less than any suite I've tested."

"And there's more good news: The user interface is streamlined and simplified. Most security tasks happen in the background during idle time, entirely without user intervention. Even the installation process is streamlined. The only thing you need do is click one big button that says you agree to the license—after that, the software is fast and completely automatic."

I accessed the advanced settings and found that the software configured itself just as I would have done on the prior product which required some knowledge to maximize its effectiveness.

And it is much easier to use than the McAfee I removed.

Meh... Sticking with AVG. License for 2 years is cheap and it catches stuff that Norton hasn't on my system... No need to change something that works great IMO.
grin2.gif

I have tried NOD32 and I like it, but because I have used AVG and paid for a license they give me a substantial discount on my next 2 years at renewal time, that combined with the fact that I'm not a PC-Novice and I have more than adequate protection at a great price...

I don't really even need an Anti-Virus, because I'm sure I could steer clear of everything, but it's a good thing to have.
grin2.gif

I don't really even need an Anti-Virus, because I'm sure I could steer clear of everything,

And I'm certain there are dozens of hackers that would be willing to prove you wrong.

NIS 2009 has worked well (i.e., "in the background" and not slowing my system) on my laptop, but it was quite noticeably slow on my older desktop. At least the desktop was slow immediately after it installed. There have been no issues with the ESET NOD32.

Since I paid for the NIS 2009, I might as well use it for the next 10-11 months on the laptop.

AVG also has a FREE version.

True SteveC...but it doesn't score as well as Antivir. Neither does Avast...which is also free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back