Internet Radio on hand-held devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found that pTunes plays internet radio with it's latest version of the software.

I have a Palm Lifedrive, pTunes 3 works good as an MP3/WMA player. Version 4 adds internet radio capabilities to it. Very cool for Windows Mobile Phones and Palm-powered phones as well. Now they just need an iPhone & Blackberry app.

Way cool to hear real-time internet radio on a LifeDrive. Heck, real-time ANYTHING on a Palm device.
LOL.gif

With a supported phone, this pretty much takes Satellite radio off the table as an option. Ahh, the holy grail of mobile radio is upon us!
happy2.gif

I have a program called TunIt on my Tilt.

It connects up to the streams, then passes them off to the windows media player.

I also have some program (can't recall the name) that connects the streaming audio to a blue tooth earpiece for private listening, so I don't have to have separate earpieces for phone and radio.

I don't consider it a good substitute for sat radio, but it is convenient.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Do they still make PDA-s? I don't see people using them any more.

A Blackberry is a type of PDA........

I still use a Clie every day. Palm came out with software for Vista this summer. So, Palm does have a few PDA's, but it is slim pickins compared to the way it was. Guess I will have to stream my favorite internet radio programs on my desktop or laptop using my DSL at home.
smirk2.gif

Well, I don't have any mobile phones to try this application with, but I setup an old 54G/B router without any encryption so the Lifedrive can easily connect to the 'net w/o worries.

I upgraded wireless routers to get greater coverage last year. That works, but the handheld devices don't work with WPA2 at all. Setting the MAC exception list will work for now. Hey it's free. Sometimes trying to make a solution out of "free" is a challenge!

This is truly a great thing. I can listen to my favorite web stations at night w/o the need for a computer, plug it into the stereo, use the Aux-in jack on my little jam box to listen in the backyard...very nifty.

Too bad I didn't find this little solution a few months ago as Chicago's AM 780 has a 'net stream, I would have been able to listen to the Bears games.

I also found moodio.fm. You can add your own streams to your account, and then access this account using the built-in web browser on your device. The streams are then played using the default media player on your device. Unfortunately artist/song info is lost.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Now they just need an iPhone & Blackberry app.

Slacker has a free app for Blackberry. I'm about to try it out.

I think they have an app for the iPhone, too. That company is doing a LOT of things right.

There is also a site called tuned.mobi that will work with windows mobile devices.

http://tuned.mobi

It features mostly international feeds. I am listening to a feed from Adelaide right now on my Tilt.

Last edited:

Sure, but they all have a phone in them now.

:) I thought last of the 'PDA'-s was the Treo with a built in phone. I think the new ones are phones with productivity software built in.

Somewhat OT, but I got an interesting program yesterday called Walking HotSpot.

http://www.walkinghotspot.com

This turns wi fi equipped smartphones that permit internet sharing into an ad hoc network portable wi fi hot spot.

Seems to work pretty well on my Tilt.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

With a supported phone, this pretty much takes Satellite radio off the table as an option.

Sure, if you never leave the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back