Lock Up Torque Converter On Turbo 350 Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if anyone on here knows if the computer on my 1983 Chevrolet El Camino which is disconnected would control the lock up feature on my torque converter.

I have the Turbo 350C transmission. Since I have disconected the computer the transmission seems to be working right.

The reason I ask this is because on another forum I was looking at a guy had a 1987 Chevrolet El Camino and it was stated that if he took out the computer his lock up feature on the transmission would not work.

Maybe the computer on the 1983 chevrolets really did not control much of anything, just a thought, any insight would be appreciated.

I was thinking the same thing as there is a vacuum module that I replaced on the transmission, sorry I forgot that.

Maybe it is called a Vacuum Modulator, all I know is that it was connected to the transmission somewhere.

The one I'm talking about is an electric vacuum switch usually found on the firewall, It's different than the modulator valve.

I'll see if I can dig up a picture.

VacuumSwitch.jpg

My El Camino is at the dealership with a choke issue, so I will check it out tommorow.

I remember something on the firewall but it did not look like that, maybe they put those on after 1983.

I second what Clayton says. If that switch does not exist it is a good bet that the computer does the controlling, but you can backtrace the lockup wiring to tell for sure.

I might have to ask my mechanic buddy about this when I go to get the car on Friday. I think the converter is locking up because at 60 m.p.h. the tachometer is below 2000 r.p.m.'s

If you removed the computer and still have lockup you either have one of these or someone has modified your trans to automatically lock up in third gear, I think you remove the lockup solenoid in the trans and put a check ball in it.

All I did a few years ago was unattach the computer at the distributor as I had gotten rid of the computer controlled carburetor and computer controlled distributor.

They wanted $1100.00, thats right one thousand one hundred dollars for a new computer controlled carburetor, I said no thanks.

The transmission has only seen fluid and filter changes.

The canadian GM cars went thru most of the 80s without feedback carbs or computers, they rigged up that vacuum switch with a governor to give lockup.

Even front wheel drivers with the TH125C, later 3t40.

You could always go for a toggle switch or something fancy from a speed shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back