Condition Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres a pilto exalto i bought on ebay in my basement and it was manufactured in 2001. It will go on the car in about 6 months. Because it is aging, I have decided to shine it with michelin tire shine to condition the side walls. I was wondering if it would also be a wise idea to condition the insideof the tire with michelin tire shine, leave it till I put it on and wipe the inside off before I put it on the car. Thanx guys

You will probably get two different types of responses here. The one from me will be to stay away from any kind of "tire shine" products. A lot of them do more harm than good by excessively drying out the rubber.

Using an 8-year-old tire is another issue, but that's already been covered in numerous previous threads here...

Alot of folks trust Michelin tire shine as a protectant it appears and I am aware of the negative effects some tire shines have so I stay away from the bad ones. So i was just thinking maybe it would be a good idea to hydrate the inside rubber too.Thanx

I'd just wipe out the inside with a clean damp rag, make sure there's no debris in there. I wouldn't sweat the 8yr/old thing if the tire has been protected from the elements all that time. Obviously if it sat outside it would be landfill material by now.

Joel

The Michelin tire shine product is fine to use. It's plenty safe for any tire or rubber product. Don't know about using it internally as a protectant but it's fine to use on the sidewalls.

You should be aware that there are bulletins out there that say that tires ought to be replaced at as little as 6 years regardless of how much tread is left - yours is coming up on 8 yewars old!

Double check the date...I am pretty sure the Exalto {all season?} was introduced to the market in 2004-2005.

Originally Posted By: rangerfan24

So I was just thinking maybe it would be a good idea to hydrate the inside rubber too. Thanx

No, No, No, No, No!!!!

The rubber inside a tire is completely different than what is used on the outside. It is usually some form of butyl, commonly halobutyl. This type of rubber has 2 useful properites: It holds air better, and it is less susceptible to cracking.

So, you may ask, why don't they use it on the outside?

1) It is pretty expensive!
2) You can get better properties from other types of rubber.

And some chemicals will attack butyl's and you do not want the air retention to be comprimised at all!

How about Atlas bucron tires, Capri.... remember them ??
56.gif

I doubled checked an it was manufactured in 06. i was looking at it in the dark and i misread it as 08. I just shined the outside sidewalls with the michelin stuff and put it in the corner. Thanx for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back