SICK OF FRENCH VALVES

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, can i just fit tubes with the normal sized schrader valves to my bikes,or is there more to it than that

20 year old GIANT KRONOS
17 year old DIAMONDBACK APEX

both as new

Yes, you can drill bigger holes for the Schrader valves in the rims.
LOL.gif
You can also screw a Schrader valve adaptor on the Presta valve.

When I called a Presta valve a "French valve" here in the US, nobody knew what I meant. In Germany we called a Presta valve also a "French valve" (Französisches Ventil).
wink.gif

Yes if the hole in the rim is larger than the Presta can fit then I don't think its a problem. I always thought most mountain bikes came with Schrader valve size rims. Road/racing bikes have thinner rims so Presta valves are used. I would be careful about drilling a larger hold in thinner rims like the ones on the road bikes.

Back then when I knew very little about bikes, I was confused whats Presta or Shrader. At the bike shop, I would ask for the same one as the car tires. I remember there is another type of valve called Dunlop. Presta valve adaptors don't always work that well, I find it much easier to inflate if the pump can pump directly to it.

How do you say Presta valve in German? I believe Schrader is also called Auto valve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Presta is the high performance valve The auto sized is the valve for non high performance useage, Mori is correct.

presta valves are stupid on mtn bikes (it's all marketing). it isn't necessary w/ the lower pressures of a wide tire.
prestas hold closed tighter the higher the pressure is, so they work well on a road tire (around 100psi). they are lighter also.
yes, you can drill out a rim for a schraeder valve if the rim is wide enough. just make sure you chamfer the hole when you are done.

I've drilled a lot of rims to accommodate Schrader valves.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
it isn't necessary w/ the lower pressures of a wide tire.

Is it even necessary on a higher pressure tire? I believe high pressure truck tires use Schrader valves, as do many bicycle and motorcycle forks that can experience very high pressures on impact.

Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
How do you say Presta valve in German? I believe Schrader is also called Auto valve.

We call it "Presta-Ventil" or "Französisches Ventil" or "Sclaverand-Ventil." We do call the Schrader valve indeed "Autoventil" or "Schader-Ventil." On regular grandpa bikes, the Dunlop valve (modern version) is the still the most popular valve type.

Originally Posted By: bonnie john
so mori, is drilling the rim a joke or a serious mod

question is no j/k

On a wide enough, durable rim, sure, drill it. Make sure to sand the hole and to apply a smooth radius to its edges.

but only with a service cap ...

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
If you have problems with a schrader valve leaking, use one for refrigeration use, they'll fit & can take up to 500 PSI.

My mountain bike tubeless wheels have presta valves. The wheels also came with an adapter kit, which uses schraeder valves, if that's your cup-o-tea.

I run the Prestas with a Schraeder adapter. Reason being is that I double my chances of having the correct pump or loaning the adapter to someone that needs air. I'd have a real problem drilling my DT Swiss rims.

Last edited:
I like Presta valves better because it's easier to take air out of the tire when I need to. I think it's also easier to pump them up as long as I use a bike pump. I'm not sure if there's any real advantage to Presta other than that; it's mostly just convention.

I like Schrader valves, because I can easily remove and replace the valve core. I have no issues pumping up a tire via a Schrader valve. I prefer the Schrader's rubber stem over the skimpy metal stem of the Presta.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I run the Prestas with a Schraeder adapter. Reason being is that I double my chances of having the correct pump or loaning the adapter to someone that needs air. I'd have a real problem drilling my DT Swiss rims.
Talk to a good bike shop about reaming the rims.Of course ther have to be wide enough,I still say the presta valves are the high performance valve for narrow rims and most important in the high performance biking word they are way lighter.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I still say the presta valves are the high performance valve for narrow rims and most important in the high performance biking word they are way lighter.

Are you riding in the age 65 to 90 high performance reclined bikes group? If the weight difference between tire valve designs becomes an issue, you maybe need to eat your Wheaties. Also, strip the paint of your bike to reduce its mass.
grin2.gif

Presta valves are ideal for narrow rims and tubeless designs.
2zibymv.jpg

Schrader valves have been around for over 100 years and are a very rugged design that is service friendly and just fine for wider rims. Portable pumps with valve depressor tip are available.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
Talk to a good bike shop about reaming the rims.Of course ther have to be wide enough,I still say the presta valves are the high performance valve for narrow rims and most important in the high performance biking word they are way lighter.

Yeah, the rim's pretty narrow. I didn't mean I'd have any trouble doing it, I meant the bicycle was a ton of money and I'm NOT doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back