HOMEMADE PENETRATING OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw the break-torque figures on the atf/acetone mix in TEMPEST'S "what makes a good penetrating oil ??" thread

any other successful home brews out there ?

bonnie john,

Last week I had want to get my fishing gear out again (used last around 8 years ago). My needle nosed pliers were last used for getting the hook out of the mouth of a rather angry flathead, and were rusted shut.

Gave it a couple drops of Specialty Formulations "Purple Problem Solver" in a few places, let it sit in the sun while we went for a couple hour walk, and got them half open. Worked them open/closed a couple of times and watched the rust bleed out of the joints.

Simple one handed operation thereafter.

Got half a bottle left...alas when that's gone, that's it.

Mola's LCD20/ATF brew has a solid reputation.

If you want to augment the acetone ATF, try "Ed's Red". Acetone ATF, gum turps and kero/mineral spirit...and lanoline if you want to improve it.

Got some lying around if you want to drop by.

I make my own penetrating oil/lube at work to use in my Sure Shot sprayer.I normally use Britolite (white spirits) and put some various oils and silicone into it.I use some ATF,but also gear oil for it's ability to cling and creep.I found an old drum of something that's been there so long I can't even read what was painted on the drum....but I think it is Rustoline.I am using this as the base of my mix now,and it works very well.

I don't stick to one formula - where's the fun in that?

Thanks all

i might try the "ed's red" shannow, got all that stuff in the garage

but i suppose you can't leave it in an oil can; i'm guessing the acetone evaporate out

What is the ratio of LCD20 and synthetic ATF? I have both in the garage and I am about to tackle an old BMW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back