Trucks....rear traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of you truck guys add weight to the beds of your trucks? Ive done some searching on the good'ol web and came up with all sorts of answers. What would you guys do? I understand about tying things down for safety....who wants 100 lbs flying at their heads in case if your in a accident. I thought about buying two 45 lbs weights and laying them over the rear axle.

I think even for a Tacoma, 90lbs in the bed of a truck won't do much for traction.

Bags of sand are readily available at Lowe's or HD and you can use the sand around the home when spring rolls around.

For winter driving on slick roads, you want at least 500lb in the back for sufficient traction.

Bags of sand, or softener salt, or kitty litter. Place the bags just ahead of the rear axle, not near the rear of the box. A 150lbs should do.

It also helps to have a limited slip diff. 4x4 not necessary if you know how to drive properly to start with.

Last edited:
I agree with placing the weight right on top of the axle, much in front of that and some of the weight is compensated for by the front axle. I think 200 or so lbs should be about right, you don't want too much just in case you hit ice where you want as little weight as possible.

BTW why do you care, you live in Texas....ya'll expecting 2 inches tomorrow?

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
I used to add bags of sand to the bed of my pick up in the winter, that way if i got stuck i could also use the sand for traction.

Ill look into then...here we dont see much snow but we do get some ice and freezing rain. Anything is better than nothing.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I think even for a Tacoma, 90lbs in the bed of a truck won't do much for traction.

Bags of sand are readily available at Lowe's or HD and you can use the sand around the home when spring rolls around.

For winter driving on slick roads, you want at least 500lb in the back for sufficient traction.

500 lbs would take me to the maxinum payload.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
I agree with placing the weight right on top of the axle, much in front of that and some of the weight is compensated for by the front axle. I think 200 or so lbs should be about right, you don't want too much just in case you hit ice where you want as little weight as possible.

BTW why do you care, you live in Texas....ya'll expecting 2 inches tomorrow?

No. Mainly to do with rain, freezing rain and ice.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
and my vote is for sand or rock salt also, no need to have a solid object flying at the back of your head

Ill check it out thanks.

I use sand tubes but when they get wet they freeze and roll around. I'd prefer sand bags with smaller crushed rock as it would work better than sand if you're putting it on the road for traction.

When it snows, I will throw some in the bed, deeper snow, more in bed. Then I carry some sand in a gallon jug, easy to pour under tire, and stays dry in cab. Also a shovel, I carry a garden spade as it is better to dig in tight places like behind tire. First dig snow clear from spinning tire (and any other tires that have snow piles behind or in front depending on direction you are going to go), straighten the front wheels, then apply some sand at the spinning tire and it should come out easy.

Also, I understand that limited slip rear end in 2WD pickups is not as good in the snow as an open differential. This is because with an open differential, when you break traction, it's only one wheel, the other maintaining some directional stability, but with a limited slip, both wheels spin and the rear end slides out much easier.

My parents used to keep bags of sand around for the trucks. They were only used when there was a real chance of snow though. Any other time it's probably just hurting your fuel economy. Just my opinion. I haven't used sand since I've been living in Charlotte. We never seem to get more than a light dusting of snow here.

The most sand I ever ran was 280lbs in my '97 F150 Supercab Flareside 2 wheel drive. After some experimenting, I ended up running 210 lbs (3 70lb tubes) over the axle, and that was enough. Any more and it was harder on fuel mileage and more mass to stop.

In my '99 F150 Supercab Flareside 4x4, I keep 2 70 lb tubes in the back just to pin the rear end down a bit and for traction purposes if ever needed.

On the Ranger I use two 50lbs bags of cat litter. Comes in handy in case I run out.. I always rotate a fresh bag.. from the store to the truck from the truck to the house. On my old f150 with LS I never did use any weight. Harder to control.

I used to carry a load of wood back there. Since we used fire wood to heat it was readily available.

The other things mentioned will also work. I like the sand idea.

Like others have said. 90 lbs won't do much for traction. Need several hundred to have good traction. Just don't do too much or you won't have any "steering" traction. Just a good balance is what you need.

Whats a good estimate for weight to add? Since my truck is a .25 ton (500lbs) i dont want to add too much weight.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Whats a good estimate for weight to add? Since my truck is a .25 ton (500lbs) i dont want to add too much weight.

Your truck's actual payload capacity is probably much greater than that. My Ranger's payload capacity (GVWR - weight) is a little over 1500 lbs.

The terms "1/2 ton," "3/4 ton," and "1 ton" as they are used with pickups are really out of date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back