Spike's top ten signs your car is a beater

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've driven a few of those cars.
LOL.gif

LMAO

"But on a beater, it’s a different story. The owner of a proper beater knows he can never trust those things. In a properly beat down car, the gas gauge will read half a tank, and a naïve owner will be lulled into a false state of security. Suddenly, as he passes the sign that says “next gas 60 miles”, the needle will drop like a bag of hammers and come to rest about 3mm above E, revealing the true situation: You're f**ked."

Originally Posted By: Pablo
This really is the key:
Quote:
1. Only You Can Operate This Vehicle

I recall the pinball machine-like "body language" acquired skill that was needed for a few of my 60's era cars. Pump twice ..pump while cranking ...

frown.gif
My '66 Mercury Monterey - if you didn't manage to keep it running the FIRST time the engine fired, forget about going anywhere for an hour or two.
frown.gif
Man, that thing used to frustrate the daylights out of me..
mad.gif

Modern FI engines make our lives so much easier.
thumbsup2.gif

"2. Your Car Isn't Worth Stealing"

That's my Metro. It's been broken into at least twice. Thieves didn't even bother taking the radio. Don't know why... it has a tape player! Very rare! I expect the next guy to break in will leave me the CD player he stole from the last car with the note "Here you go man... I feel sorry for you."

If you keep a screwdriver with you... not so you could fix it... but so you can take your license plates off and leave the heap in the ditch.

... if you have to bang on the car to get the squirrels and raccoons to vacate the trunk before you go anywhere.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
If your car is changing the oil for you in between tanks of gas!
LOL.gif

My '71 Dart (FREE) was like that, hence the 160-degree thermostat and hi-vis oil. It tended to ooze rather than burn oil though- that old car (still sitting in my driveway) passed the emissions tests with flying colors! About one quart of oil every 150-200 miles... DUST CONTROL!

When someone asks what color your car is, you're not sure.

Driver door is red, hood is black but from behind the car appears yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back