Jeep Grand Cherokee - 3.0L CDI (Benz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I posted. Anyways, I've got a new vehicle. It's my first diesel. It's a Grand Cherokee overland, with the Mercedes-Benz 3.0 L V6 CDI.

Anyhoo, the manual says it needs oil that meets the following specs: MS-11106, MB 229.31, or MB 229.51

Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know if it uses the same oil filter as the Mercedes-Benz ML320 Bluetec? I assume it does, as they have the exact same motor. My parts guy says he's got a MANN filter for the Benz, but when he looks up the Jeep in his system, he gets no info. So I told him to order me the filter listed for the Benz, assuming it should be the same. Anyone able to confirm that?

Thanks!

Very few oil meets the MB 229.51 and nearly impossible to find it at auto parts stores, you may need to buy MB 229.51 oil at either MB or Chrysler dealer. These oils are on MB 229.51 list: Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 and Valvoline SynPower MST 5W-30.

No idea about if oil filter for ML320 will fit Grand Cherokee or not.

If it's as Merc. engine then I would M1. You'll need to check the weight. You might even call a Merc. dealer and check with them.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Very few oil meets the MB 229.51 and nearly impossible to find it at auto parts stores, you may need to buy MB 229.51 oil at either MB or Chrysler dealer. These oils are on MB 229.51 list: Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 and Valvoline SynPower MST 5W-30.

I would call a Chrysler/Dodge dealership first, to find out if 1) they have it in stock, and 2) how much they charge. I have heard some dealers charge over $10 for the M1 ESP Formula M.

Originally Posted By: Rollins
Hi,
the list of approved oils by category:
http://bevo.daimler.com/bevolistenmain.p...29baa77efdc62fa

http://bevo.daimler.com/bevolistenmain.p...31&suchbegriff=

Om642 in 3.0V6 CRD uses Mann HU 821 x oil filter with Chrysler #05175571AA and MB # 642 180 00 09,which is used also on many MB engines,among them is OM 642.820 in ML 320 Bluetech.
That`s what the catalog says...
http://www.mann-hummel.com/mf_prodkata_e...ktlg_subpage=01

Thank you very much for the information... very helpful.

I ended up buying Liqui Moly Longtime High Tech 5W-30, which is on the 229.51 approved list, and also lists the spec on the bottle. I bought it for $45 per 5L jug. So, it cost me $90 because this engine requires 9.5L of oil... yikes!

I also got the MANN oil filter HU 821 X for $7 and confirmed that my Jeep owner's manual states to use Mopar filter # 05175571AA... so I'm pretty sure it's a match.

All in all, I paid $97 + tax for the materials. I'm not sure what I'll do about the labor... whether I'll do it, or pay my mechanic to do it for me, but even if I do pay for it, he won't charge me more than $20. Considering the dealer wanted $190 for an oil change, I think I got a good deal... and really good oil!

Like was stated earlier, Schaeffer's 9000 5w40 will do the job and is far and away cheaper than what you are paying. I admit I buy in larger quantities, but even with a smaller buy you could beat the pricing easily by 1/2 or more.

Looks like you could use the new Castrol Edge 5W-30, which is now in the US...wonder if we will get it in Canada?

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Like was stated earlier, Schaeffer's 9000 5w40 will do the job and is far and away cheaper than what you are paying. I admit I buy in larger quantities, but even with a smaller buy you could beat the pricing easily by 1/2 or more.

Where can I get Schaeffer's in Canada?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Looks like you could use the new Castrol Edge 5W-30, which is now in the US...wonder if we will get it in Canada?

I'm eager to see this here in Canada. Any news on whether that's coming here?

If you check in with the Schaeffer's sponsor here on the site, he can get it shipped to anywhere in the world. Not sure of shipping costs or if he can refer you to a dealer in Canada. One thing I do know... Schaeffer oil will go head to head with any oil you can get off the shelf and do it for a much lower cost. I can get the 9000 5w40 shipped to my door for about $19 a gallon the last time I ordered (early December). Probably a little higher now. Try beating that price at Wally World for Delvac 1 or having Amsoil or Royal Purple shipped to your door.

I see two different post that say the Schaeffer's 9000 5W-40 meets the Mercedes Benz 229.51 spec, but no where on any Mercedes Benz literature can I find this oil on "their" approval list. Does anyone have a copy of an official Mercedes Benz approval list that has this oil listed?

Amsoil, Mobil Delvac 1, and Royal Purple are not on that approval list either.

Last edited:
Schaeffer will back the oil if they say it meets a certain standard. I would have no problem using it. No where is Schaeffer oil listed in the Cummins literature for my ISX engine, but I have no problem using it and the Cummins shop has no problem with it as well. Cummins just lists the spec and doesn't go so far as to have a recommended list of brands. If an engine oil supplier says that it meets a spec, and then an engine problem can be traced to the oil itself, then you would have a case against them anyway and they would have to ante up for the repairs or new engine. Just because a company doesn't "pay" an OEM for the right to be on an "approved" list, does not mean that their oil won't meet or exceed the standard. With litigation the way it is in this country, it is really playing Russian Roulette to say an oil meets the spec when it really doesn't. And Schaeffer has been at this game since 1834, so I wouldn't sweat using their oil. But if you prefer to pay more for an oil on an "approved" list, then by all means do so. I have no dog in that hunt.

The last post is over a year old in this topic. I have 2008 Diesel Grand Cherokee. It has 4,000 miles on it, so I'm doing my research for its first oil change. Does anyone have any new info on the oils available for this engine? Your help would be greatly appreciated. FYI, I'm frugal, so if you can tell me where to find the oil at the lowest price, I would love it. Thanks!

My MB dealer only charges $6.95 per quart for the ESP 5w40 Formula M, which is exactly $0.68 more than Walmart charges for 1 quart of any regular Mobil 1.

I will be using this oil in my folks GL320 Bluetec (factory spec oil) and their e320 CDI (been running M1 0w40)

I just bought a "new" 07 jeep 3.0 v6 diesel. I only have 1000 miles on it now but I'going to use the ESp until out of warranty and buy it from the dealer(keep the receipts).

I have decided to use the Schaeffer's T9000

it is spec'd for the MBenz 229.51 and that is all I need to know.

Plus it is a all American Company

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badnews
I have decided to use the Schaeffer's T9000

it is spec'd for the MBenz 229.51 and that is all I need to know.

Plus it is a all American Company

Umm...none of the Schaeffer 9000 oils are 229.51 AFAIK(what they say on their website). Plus, Schaeffer's are pretty free and easy with their MB claims. They say 9000 5W40 meets MB228.5, but only has a TBN of 10. For that spec (based on E4) it must have a TBN of at least 12.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back