Audi 1.8T requires 0W-30 and VW 1.8T requires 5W040?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, what the heck is going on? Now I am very confused.... How come Audi recommends 0W-30 for THEIR 1.8T and VW recommends 5W-40 for their 1.8T? Isn't it the same engine? I thought that whether you bought an Audi made 1.8T or a Volkswagen made 1.8T, it is essentially the same engine. Then, wouldn't the same engines require the same specs? Someone please help.......

My guess...

Audi has more drivetrain drag, from awd so MPG is lower... Maybe they use a thinner oil to eek out a slight bit more fuel economy, to keep CAFE or similar up where they need it to be?

dunno.gif

JMH

Unless I am mistaken, Audi does NOT recommend a *w-30.
They say that if you can not find the 5w-40 that they recommend, then the '30' can be used.
Anyway thats my interpretation.

To the uninitiated the VW and Audi 1.8T engine may appear to be the same engine but once you break the codes you find a complete underworld lurking in recesses that are rarely explored.

VWAG produces over twelve versions of their 1.8 liter turbocharged engine for their worldwide market of products. Differences between many of the engines are to accomodate powertrain designs such as the use of either a Haldex all-wheel drive system or a Torsen all-wheel drive system or whether the application will require a drive-by-wire computerized throttle or a cable actuated version.

In North America you will see versions of the 1.8T engine producing anywhere from 150hp to 225hp depending on which vehicle you choose.

When you review the engineering data it is quite possible that you'll see applications that specify a lighter grade of lubricant. However, the reasons for the differing lubricant requirements goes much deeper than one engine being in a Audi and one being in a Volkswagen.

Fowway, Could you elaberote on the differences in the mechanical design like block layout, valve train design, etc.....The only things that should be affecting the oil viscosity requirment are clearances, operateing temp, load, oil pump design etc........Drive by wire and the drive configuration after the engine would not affect the optimum viscosity for engine protection.

JohnB, there is not a whole lot of difference in physical design of the 1.8T engines... just as there is not much physical difference in design of any of VW's 4 cylinder engines.

There are two 1.8T engines that are night and day though. The early 1.8T didn't have variable valve timing nor did it have drive-by-wire. It used a very common turbocharger (K03) with funky lubrication routing.

The modern version is naturally the 5 valve per cylinder version that is common in design across the Volkswagen board. However, it also offers a choice of turbochargers and charge air cooling systems which will affect temperature control.

As with any mechanical device, varying the output is going to vary the heat production and this may be what would trigger VW to alter their lubrication recommendations. They're increasing the power output of the 150HP version by 75HP which is a 50% increase. They used a larger turbocharger and altered the computer controls to achieve these gains.

After two posts in this thread I would like to comment that I am simply replying with information that is common among Volkswagen enthusiasts. I do not own any Volkswagen or Audi gasoline powered vehicles.

I think gone are the days you could get almost any oil and put it in any particular vehicle and it will work just fine. There remains of course the chance it can happen, but the liklihood is reduced. I think now the buzz is meeting the "designer" specifications. Plus sometimes a little to a lot more research will yield even more excellent combinations. So I see Bobstheoilguy.com as an even MORE valuable resource.

My long story short is: (Costlier) Mobil One Delvac One 5w40 AKA (cheaper) Mobil One Truck and SUV 5w40, in a 2003 VW Jetta TDI. For example, the 0w40 Mobil One is an almost NO BRAINER and excellent choice.However if you read strictly the viscosity metric, you might tend to pass it by as it specifies 5w40 (among others) It actually advertises meeting the VW 505.00 specification. (at the time)

The anomoly is the Delvac One DOES NOT advertise meeting the VW 505.00 specification!! However when you research further, Delvac One meets much stiffer specifications and VOA and UOA testing and talking with other TDI enthusiasts indicate and confirm that it is indeed a STELLAR oil, especially in this application. It is so stellar for example that you can go up to 25,000 mile OCI's.What is even more amazing as most of you know; diesel is FAR harder on oil than gassers. The other anomoly is Delvac One costs more than the Mobil One Truck and SUV, even given that Delvac One is available in 1 gal containers and most time T & S is availabe in costlier 1 quart containers. So in fact the price per quart is cheaper.

[ May 14, 2005, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

I have an Audi TT QR 225. In the manual it states to use a "5w-40 weight oil". I use the M1 T&SUV. It is a good synth oil. I have had no problems with it and will continue to put it in my car.

quote:

Originally posted by brianpavlovic:
Okay, what the heck is going on? Now I am very confused.... How come Audi recommends 0W-30 for THEIR 1.8T and VW recommends 5W-40 for their 1.8T? Isn't it the same engine? I thought that whether you bought an Audi made 1.8T or a Volkswagen made 1.8T, it is essentially the same engine. Then, wouldn't the same engines require the same specs? Someone please help.......

They're the same engine (other than computer tuning) and you can run either oil in them if you wish. Mobil 1 0W40 or 5W40 and German Castrol are 3 excellent oils for the 1.8T. Another good oil is Shell Rotella T 5W40. Hope this helps.

Also, don't leave that oil in past 5K and run the highest quality filter you can. Purolator PureOne, Mobil 1 and the factory Mahle are the some excellent choices for this engine.

[ May 14, 2005, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: 99 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back