How to reset XP password.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SIL asked me to fix here compaq laptop that her daughter bollixed up somehow. She has a login password, which I can't get for a couple of days. (She forgot to tell me).

Booted the install disk to do a repair, but the @##$$% XP wants the #$%%^^ password!!!! Catch 22.

Don't know what happened to the laptop, but the keyboard and mouse have been disabled and the display is shrunk down to about half size. I was able to get to the system by installing a USB mouse so I should be able to repair this thing without a reformat and reinstall.. I just need to remove the @##$$%^ password.

Thanks for any advice.

Wayne

Hit F8 on the startup screen (or whatever it's called, when you can access the BIOS) and start it in safe mode. Unless she set an administrator password, you should be able to get in through the admin account and change her password.

No joy.. I select safe mode, it loads a bunch of files, then reboots, loads a bunch of files, then reboots, etc.,etc. Can't get it booted up in safe mode. Going the have to build a bootable cd I guess...

If you can find it on the web, there is a bootable CD that emulates windows XP and will allow you to reset the password to whatever you want. We have them here at work in case someone quits and changes his password. Have used it a few times to reset passwords. I think it cost 20.00 over the web.

The Administrator password may not have been set, have you tried logging in via that account?

m1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Try pushing F8 to get the boot menu and try "Last known Good Configuration" option

Heh.. Did that. Bad idea. It's totally hosed now. Just sets there and reboots over and over again. looks like a format and reinstall...

Oh well.....

You could rescue all the files by connecting the drive to another computer using an laptop hard drive adapter and backing them up before you format/reinstall.

You can buy a 2.5" external hard disk enclosure for cheap and hook up the hard drive to it. Back up the stuff and then format the drive in the laptop and reload windows.

Prob. a good idea seeing as windows is pretty messed up anyways.

That's probably what I'll have to do. I do have a 2.5" adaptor. I'll stick the drive in an eternal USB connected case and see if I can access it.

I've got a couple of ideas that I want to try first. It's been a couple of years since I had to rescue a pc. Lets see If I can save this one.

Thanks guys for the ideas.

08.gif
11.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
The Administrator password may not have been set, have you tried logging in via that account?

m1.gif

What is the deal with the M1 logo in all your responses?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

m1.gif

What is the deal with the M1 logo in all your responses?

heheh, just being a turd and supporting the black sheep.

Does my liking Mobil 1 offend you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
That's probably what I'll have to do. I do have a 2.5" adaptor. I'll stick the drive in an eternal USB connected case and see if I can access it.

I've got a couple of ideas that I want to try first. It's been a couple of years since I had to rescue a pc. Lets see If I can save this one.

Thanks guys for the ideas.

08.gif
11.gif
34.gif

If you have an XP CD that matches the version installed, you can do a repair install.

Quote:
If you have an XP CD that matches the version installed, you can do a repair install.

Tryed that. Couldn't get past the password problem. Once I find out if I can actually read the drive I'll know what to do next.

I used to be pretty good at this stuff, but it's been a while. Need to stretch my brain a little, keep it in shape.
grin2.gif

You could grab an older version of the registry that system restore backed up over time, overwrite the current registry, then see if it works, then remove all the spyware off it.

The instructions to do this isn't for the faint of heart, but it works time & time again.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Quote:

Tryed that. Couldn't get past the password problem. Once I find out if I can actually read the drive I'll know what to do next.

I used to be pretty good at this stuff, but it's been a while. Need to stretch my brain a little, keep it in shape.
grin2.gif

How are you trying to do the repair install?

You need to:

1. Boot from the XP CD
2. When it asks if you want to do the Recovery Console, choose NO
3. When it searches for Windows Installations, it will tell you that one exists and asks if you want to repair. Do so.
4. It should then go through the normal XP install procedure, except you won't lose anything.

I just found your M1 thread. Now it's clear. :)

Quote:

Not at all. But until I read that M1 thread, for I while I thought that some kind of malware took over your browser and was inserting random images into your posts. :)

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I just found your M1 thread. Now it's clear. :)

Quote:

Not at all. But until I read that M1 thread, for I while I thought that some kind of malware took over your browser and was inserting random images into your posts. :)

HHAAHAHHAHAAH, OK
grin2.gif
Not likely on a *nix box though
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back