Who makes Hankook, general impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Hankook independent or are these a subsidiary of another company? Anybody have any long term experience with these?

They are made in S. Korea, I have no first hand experience with any of their products.

I used their Mileage Plus GT tires on my old Altima for 2 years. Long tread life but really poor for grip, especially in the snow/wet weather...

One of my co-workers purchased a set of 4 before winter last year. By January he returned the tires for something else because there was no grip in more than an inch of snow.

Last edited:
They are OEM tires on the ford f150..

I put a set on the misses sunfire the optimo's this past summer. They are a good tire so far.

For the price I would buy another set.

I'm running 16" Hankook IceBear I 300 right now. Great handling for a snow, but not a deep snow tire, more of a sport snow. At least I can use them as all-seasons after they are worn down. For deep snow, the I-406 has worked very well for the people I know who used it. I dunno if Hankook is my 1st pick, but of the price is right...

We're running the I-Pike W-409's on a number of vehicles; I've heard no complaints so far, and we've dealt with a good bit of ice/snow here so far this year. They're a bit less expensive than our other winter tire of choice, the Firestone WinterForce.

Brother #1 has 'em on his Lincoln Town Car, and Bro. #2 has a set of the RW07's on his Jeep Grand Cherokee. Bro. #1 is VERY picky, and, if he's satisfied, they must be okay.

What I can't figure out is why they don't have their tires studded.
54.gif
It's been a very icy winter so far, and the studded Firestone WinterForce's on my Expedition have done a great job.
thumbsup2.gif

I bought a Jeep from CarMax once and it had brand new Hankooks on it. They sure looked nice. But because I never heard of them, I went the following week and replaced all the tires. I gave the old (new really!) tires to a friend who says he really likes them and has had no issues at all.

I did the same thing with some Nexen 2000s, except I kept them mounted for summers. Those were darn good tires.

They are cheap tires, some of them are made in China as well as S. Korea.

We move a decent number of them at work, but they really are nothing special. If your looking for a general purpose everyday cheap tire, I'd just say go for goodyear integrity tires. I will, however, say that Hankook Snow tires are very popular because they are pretty cheap, so people who need them "just to get by" like these a lot, and I would probably consider them for myself as well. Not sure on their performance compared to more expensive tires.

Their Ventus line of tires are popular with younger people who drive cars they clearly can't afford, or at least that's the trend I notice with them. They do seem to have a high rate of bubbling in the side wall, higher than some of the more expensive tires we sell.

As for their larger light/medium truck tires, I'd say pass. I got 2 sets of them for a buddy of mine who runs a company pulling trailers with F350's and they swore them off for good and, so far, have been quite happy with the BFG's I got them.

Last edited:
I put Hankooks on both of our cars.

Mileage Plus on the Saturn, I would say above average for an all-season passenger tire, good snow traction, good ride and performance, seem to be wearing well.

Ventus V4 ES (H105) on the G6. I love these tires! Been a while since I've had a performance tire so my comparison is to the factory ContiTouringContacts(H rated I believe). The Hankooks put them to shame. V rated but better ride quality, wet and dry performance is far superior. Winter is about the same, they don't like the snow (I should have got her witer tires and "wheels"). They also seem to be wearing well.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy Hankook again. They seem to be below average pricing around here but I'm happy with the quality. In fact after pricing some 17" Nokians I'll probably be going with Hankook winter tires too.

I put a set of their high mileage tires on my old Intrepid.They were on the wear bars after 48,000 miles. The warranty is for 80,000 miles. I replaced them with Kumho Solus.The Kumho's are a much better tire.

Originally Posted By: genynnc
They are made in S. Korea, I have no first hand experience with any of their products.

Not all of them. I have seen some that were made in China.

I have a set of Optimo H418 on my 1999 Nissan Frontier. Made in Korea, BTW. They aren't rated very well in Consumer Reports, but I have been satisfied.

They're rated to 60,000 miles. Judging by the wear, I will make that, but not beat it.

Like I said, I'm satisfied. I bought them from the Discount Tire website, had them mounted/balanced and got an alignment for around $300 total. A pretty good deal.

Link to Hankook H418 Info

I own a tire store.

My dad's '03 XK8 has K110 V12 EVOs on it. Very quiet, excellent wet traction, cornering and braking. Wear well. Smooth riding, too.

We have Optimo H727s on our minivan. Great wet traction, quiet, nice riding and handling. 100K mi warranty. Wearing very well, so far.

And, we have H418s on our '05 Focus. Similar characteristics to H727 described above, but more sporty.

We like Hankooks. The K110s are especially superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back