Cummins 855 UOA-Amsoil15-40, bypass 47Khrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
460hrs on oil. 47k hrs on engine. Gettin kinda worried about the time on the engine, so have ben thinking about rebuild. This is the only UOA I have done. This is the 1st OC with the bypass filter-Amsoil 2mic. This looks like very little wear to me, what do you guys think?

I have had the spinner 2 SE60 for years but it hasn't caught anything. Had oil coming from filter block, just changed to from oil pump and it seems to be spinning faster, So spinner back on for another 500hrs and see what happens.

UsedOilAnalysis001.jpg

You might just need a rebuild there is not much metal left in the engine by looking at the 460 hours on the oil . What is that engine in a truck or tractor or boat or generator? Look at the tbn. Maybe the sample should be taked at the sump there is no metal in the sample.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
You might just need a rebuild there is not much metal left in the engine by looking at the 460 hours on the oil . What is that engine in a truck or tractor or boat or generator? Look at the tbn. Maybe the sample should be taked at the sump there is no metal in the sample.

Now that is funny!

Originally Posted By: Steve S

Engine is in a com-fishing boat. Rarely ran above 1350 rpms @ 6.5 gl per hr. Lots of time under 1050rpm @ 3.5 gl per hr. Generly pretty easy life.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I'm curious. Whats the Hp on this one?

If it makes you feel any better the NT280B Cummins in my Peterbilt is still going after 47 years.

NTA-855 M3, 350hp @1800 rpm
Becouse of the time on the engine, I have been considering a rebuild, @ 30K started to burn a little oil, now about a gl per 125-150 hrs. From looking on this site I expected more metel, I'll send in another sample in another 400 hrs and compare.

Originally Posted By: wjdell
do a compression test and if its good maybe replace the valve seals and keep on going.

Thanks a compression test is not a bad idea.

At 31k hrs replaced heads, factory remans. At that time 70% of hone marks we're showing, and no sign of a ridge at the top of the cylinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back