01 Saab9-3 SE, Motul 8100 5w40, 10,000KM Ea026

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Saab 9-3 SE
Mods: 3inch exhaust, stock boost(15.5psi)
Temps: July to Dec, temp range from +30Celcius - -1Celcius

Car was driven a little harder over this period, I was into boost at least once a day. Car is driven at least 26km 1 way each day and about 60/40 hwy/city.

L/100km: 7.0-9.0L/100Km

Additives: This is my first oil change since doing a auto rx clean/rinse cycle, this oil had 4oz maintenance dose of auto-rx. Also used the maitanence dose of Redline fuel clean SL-1(or whatever it is called).

I put a Amsoil Ea026 filter on (equivalent to Nappa 1773 in size) which allowed me to add 2 liters of oil to the sump. Total oil was 6 liters and this is why I pushed my OCI. This engine is known as a sludge monster, I have taken every step not to get sludge (updated PCV, New exhaust which moved the cat behind the oil pain and larger oil Filter). Some of you will say I should go much longer on my oil change, but even Amsoil only recommends a max of 7,500miles (12,000km) and 5,000miles for severe service for this engine.

Kilometers on engine 138,000
Kilometers on oil 10,000

Make Up Oil 0
Amsoil Ea026 filter (added 2 Liters to a total of 6L )OEM is 4 Liters

Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40

Aluminum 2
Chromium 1
Iron 10
Copper 6
Lead 2
Tin 1
Moly 4
Nickel 0
Manganese 1
Silver 0
Ti 0
Potassium 2
Boron 2
Silicon 18
Sodium 12
Calcium 1553
Magnesium 771
Phosphorus 837
Zinc 1069
Barium 0

Sus Visc @ 210F 69.9 should be 55-62
cST Visc @ 100 C 12.93 should be 8.8-11.1
Flashpoint in F 400 should be >365
Fuel % Antifreeze 0.0
Water % 0.0 should be Insolubles % 0.2 should be TBN 6.0

Black Stone: Those oil rinses are a good idea for clearing out the residual wear and other things which gather and tend to accumulate in an engine. You have one of the nicest wearing Saab engines we've seen and we'd guess your engine has a long healthy life ahead of it. We do have a question about the silicon. It appears innocuous rather than abrasive, we'd just like to know its source. Do you have any silicone gaskets on the engine? Do you use an anti-foam additive? The TBN was 6.0 so you are good to go for more miles. Try 11,500-km for the next sample.

Previous UOA:

Elf 5w40 UOA
Esso XD3 UOA

I was very happy with this oil and the engine stayed nice and smooth all the way to the end, I am glad I have another 6 liters of this stuff in my basement.

Edit: I have silicon vacuum lines all over the engine, this is the only place I can think that the silicon is coming from. The air filter was replaced this past summer.

Last edited:
Really good numbers... Make me want to try the oil! The Silicon could be from gaskets in valve covers etc. Don't worry about it I have these same readings from my engine every UOA and I was told that its just the materials my Manufacturer uses.

I note that many of the UOA posted on BITOG question the silicone level. While most seem to think this is dirt coming through athe air filter, I wonder if the oil folks aren't using a silicone-based anti-foam. These are quite common in industry and would explian these numbers.

Boomer you could be right about the anti-foam. Although with all my analysis I have had high silicon numbers. I used different oils throughout and the only constant is the silicon vacuum hoses. Could they be leeching enough to spike the numbers in the oil ?

I checked my airbox and there does not seem to be any leaks, and my air filter still looks new. Oh well the silicon is not hurting anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back