cut in tyre - does it need replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
noticed this cut last week. could have been there for a year or one day - no idea. In general I am finding my tyres suffer damage way before the tread ever wears out. Have been running at 240 kPa / 35 PSI, have now lowered to 210 kPa as it is more comfy (and why not?? - it's the recommended pressure)

I could only see an itty little bit of white if you really work the cut open but it still seems to be in rubber...

in both pics the cut runs from left upwards to the right (it looks similar to the tread grooves)

I want to do whatever is safest without wasting money

DSC05268.jpg

DSC05269.jpg

Originally Posted By: crinkles

I could only see an itty little bit of white if you really work the cut open but it still seems to be in rubber...

This seems to be contradictory. There is not white rubber in this area of the tire, so anything white has to be either cord or foreign material - and you need to determine which.

If you see cord, scrap the tire.

However, the cut doesn't seem to penetrate deeper than the bottom of the tread groove. I can't tell for sure.

So you need to look closer.

Last edited:
What is remaning tread depth? If cut is TO the steel reinforcing belt I'd chance it. If it's THROUGH ANY of the steel belting,,throw it away!

Best,

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back