Deutz air/oil cooled diesel engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Deutz air cooled (actually its oil cooled but im splitting hairs) diesel engine powering my Lincoln Electric Vantage 500 welder.

Its coming up on 100 hrs and im Getting ready to drop the oil out.

I used Delo 400LE 15W40 in everything I own (yes even the gassers) IS Their any reason I shouldn't used this in my $14,000 portable welder. I DEMAND this thing last me at least 10 years of usage (Roughly 10,000hrs)

I'm going to be using Fleetguard stratapore filters on it for fuel and oil.

some of the drilling contractors we use have Deutz motors mounted on their rigs. they use Mobil Delvac 1 oil. not sure about the grade - just spotted a bottle lying on the rig.

It's a good oil. I'd run Delo, Rotella, or Delvac in my truck without hesitation. You might want to look into installing a bypass filter as well.

Hi,
Dualie - A 15W-40 HDEO is a good choice for these engines - subject to the prevailing temperature range of course. I have used this type of lubricant for years in these engines

At a pinch you could use the likes of Delvac 1 5W-40

Dualie, I'd have to say that any 15w-40 HDEO will work fine for your application. Delo is a fine choice, as are the other major brands. Your area doesn't require consideration for temp extremes, unless you're doing cold starts with your welder, after traveling way up north into the mountains. So, overall, I'd have to say the 15w-40 will be excellent for your area.

On top of that, Duetz is known for making good reliable small diesels. I've seen many in Ditch Witch's that get abused on a regular basis, and they keep running.

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback guys. Didn't know if the little oil cooled plant would need a special stronger add package.

I rarely ever work this welder at full tilt. Maybe twice a year I will carbon arc gouge and really bog the beast down. Its a good lung cleaning for her. 550 amps for 5 or six min a year is child's play for the unit. most days she runs at a bit under half power around 230-275 amps.

as she sits outside she's got 92.5 hours her.

Just something to note...I have found that the new CJ-4 offering from Rotella doesn't like heat. And being that Duetz is air-cooled, it typically runs hotter than a liquid cooled engine...we had this same thing on a small F350 drilling rig.

After seeing what happens to Rotella, I would strongly suggest looking into a full synthetic...

One thing to note, don't ever run the engine with the alternator disconnected as it will fry them in less than a minute...and they are VERY pricey to replace.

Actually the way Lincoln set up their engine protection boards it will not run without alternator spinning.

Something about the belt also running the oil pump and using the alternator signal for verification that the belt hasn't broken.

I'm going to run DELO 400LE 15W-40 CJ-4 in it like everything else I own. I just wanted to make sure it didn't take some funky diesel rated oil like the VW TDI's.

Funky.....
25.gif

Originally Posted By: Dualie
Actually the way Lincoln set up their engine protection boards it will not run without alternator spinning.

Something about the belt also running the oil pump and using the alternator signal for verification that the belt hasn't broken.

I'm going to run DELO 400LE 15W-40 CJ-4 in it like everything else I own. I just wanted to make sure it didn't take some funky diesel rated oil like the VW TDI's.

Not disconnecting the belt, disconnecting the alt charge wire from the battery...

Originally Posted By: Dualie

I was able to find English specs for the D2011 Engine on the http://www.Deutz.de website (all English, actually) and the bottom line is that regular 15w-40 CG-4/CH-4/CI-4/CI-4+ or CJ-4 oil is good for 1000 hours of "normal" load or 500 hours of "high" load. Oddly enough, Chevron has no oils listed in the Approval List but ExxonMobil has Delvac 1300 MX, Delvac Super and XD-3 all listed in various viscosities. Viscosity range is by temperature, and 15w-40 is good down to +5 degrees F.

With this wide a range of approved HDEO's, the Chevron will work just fine.

The two links you might find useful are:

List of approved oils:

http://www.deutz.de/live_deutz_com/html/...sue_12_2008.pdf

Oil Specs:

http://www.deutz.de/live_deutz_com/html/...99030028_en.pdf

Ah that's good to know thank you jaj.

I looked around the manual that came with the welder and the only thing they mentioned was to used their Deutz OEL TLS 15W-40 D oil.

Didn't specify what API grade it met or anything of that nature.

after I drop the initial oil after 100 Hrs with the break in wear metals and what not in it I think I can safely push the next OCI To 500 hours but honestly I think I will only go to 250 for number two. I have 6 fleetguard stratapore oil filters in stock on my shelf so I should be good to go for a long long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back