How are Mopar filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering how are Mopar filters? How do they stack up against wix, ac delcos, bosh, mobil and the rest... I see walmart has them.

Made by Champion Labs these days. They are good filters. Not premium/the best but good. They are similar to the other OE filters like AC Delco, Motorcaft, etc... Up to 5000 miles +/- I would not hesitate to use them.

http://www.champlabs.com/

Last edited:
The latest survey at WM here had Purolator filters in the MOPAR box. This was a week ago. The alleged swap to Champ has been out there for a long time ..but it's not apparent at my WM

Mopar filters are of High Quality however Champ Labs does not make the MO-090 that is sold at Walmart or any where else.

I recently Emailed Them.

Hello,
I use Mopar Oil Filters for my Vehicles the part numbers are 4781452BB & 5281090, do you produce both of these filters, just curious.
Thanks.

We do not supply these to Mopar.
Thanks
Bryan
Tech Service
Champion

MOPAR will use who ever is the cheapest bidder. I'ed just get a WIX or some other name brand filter. At least i would know who made it.

WWO this is interesting:) The one and only mopar fitlers walmart had, was M 90 5281090..the dealer had the 4105409... dealer charged $9 for one fitler, $13 at another dealer, like 4 or 5 years ago...walmart seels the 5281090 for $5.75!!
Now, i belive the 5281090 is a viper filter..an oversized one..its a tad fatter and bigger than the 4105409.. and has smaller and afew more oil holes above the ADBV..one neon mechanic so far, stated he dosnt like the 5281090..it caused his noen ot have loud engine knock and rattle at startup..he went back to 4105409 and all went back to normal..
so! what exactly is, hte 5281090? It appears to have more surface are in filter..maybe its mopars version of a purolator pure one?

Ok. MOPAR filters are made by different mfg's. It was Champ Labs to my knolwedge. Champ and Purolater both make good filters so my answer still stands. Use it to 5K.

The box that the Mopar oil filter for the 2.8 Diesel says made in Italy.
And Mopar approved for up to 12,000 miles.
Hope this helps

The box for my M 90 says mae in USA..it had the number 16 stamped on it, near the oil holes, and thier 8 oil holes...bypass spring is at bottom of where oil thread is, inside the fitler, and appears to have a abse plate(leaf spring?) under it.

Originally Posted By: ziggy
The box for my M 90 says mae in USA..it had the number 16 stamped on it, near the oil holes, and thier 8 oil holes...bypass spring is at bottom of where oil thread is, inside the fitler, and appears to have a abse plate(leaf spring?) under it.

Like i said in my other post... MOPAR brand stuff is the bottom of the barrel. Maybe you will get a good filter.Maybe you wont. You could get a WIX or some other brand name filter for cheaper. At least then you will know what you are getting.

MoparOEMFilter.jpg

Mopar parts are not bottom of the barrel as you say. Yes in the past long ago the filters were Fram, but other OEM filters have been Fram as well.

Having worked with Chrysler on and off since 1991 or so, I think you are off base calling Mopar bottom of ther barrel.

The Walmart filter is a Purolator, not my own preferered filter, but it's a good one. The filter for the small diesel comes from Italy, but thats where the engine comes from. The filter for the Cummins is a Fleetguard, hey that's Cummins, that's who makes the engine. The filter for the world engine is from Korea, but that's where that engine comes from, it's a Hyundai engine for the most part, and the filter is the same one as Hyundai uses, and it's a great filter as well.

Mopar spark plugs are Champion, or NGK for the most part. Last night I was looking at Autolite spark plugs at Walmart that say made in China. I have assumed Motorcraft (Ford) plugs to be Autolite so who knows where their plugs are made.

Mopar lunbrican't are Mobil for the most part but switching to Shell,, again, not my choice as I use Delo 400 5W-40 in everything I own but still it's good stuff.

The value line brake parts are better than the OEM Mopar brakes, the wipers are Trico.

The batteries are Johnson Controls, what's wrong with that?

Where exactly are you getting this bottom of the barrel comment from? Maybe you just don't like Chrysler, and that's fine, but don't bash something you seem to know little about.

My own 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon has a Motorcraft filter on it that I paid 50 cents for at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: CJWink
Maybe you just don't like Chrysler, and that's fine, but don't bash something you seem to know little about.

Oh you got me. Your right. I know nothing about chryslers...

Everything ive brought from a chrysler dealership or MOPAR Performance has turned out to be sub-par or over priced. I could list stuff all day but ill just say ive wasted tons of money on "genuine" parts and ive learned my lesson. Chrysler will never get another cent of my money. The aftermarket does it better and all that stuff you listed could be had else ware for less.

OP: Sorry to drift OT.

Mopar parts are not bottom of the barrel as you say. Yes in the past long ago the filters were Fram, but other OEM filters have been Fram as well.

Having worked with Chrysler on and off since 1991 or so, I think you are off base calling Mopar bottom of ther barrel.

The Walmart filter is a Purolator, not my own preferered filter, but it's a good one. The filter for the small diesel comes from Italy, but thats where the engine comes from. The filter for the Cummins is a Fleetguard, hey that's Cummins, that's who makes the engine. The filter for the world engine is from Korea, but that's where that engine comes from, it's a Hyundai engine for the most part, and the filter is the same one as Hyundai uses, and it's a great filter as well.

Mopar spark plugs are Champion, or NGK for the most part. Last night I was looking at Autolite spark plugs at Walmart that say made in China. I have assumed Motorcraft (Ford) plugs to be Autolite so who knows where their plugs are made.

Mopar lunbrican't are Mobil for the most part but switching to Shell,, again, not my choice as I use Delo 400 5W-40 in everything I own but still it's good stuff.

The value line brake parts are better than the OEM Mopar brakes, the wipers are Trico.

The batteries are Johnson Controls, what's wrong with that?

Where exactly are you getting this bottom of the barrel comment from? Maybe you just don't like Chrysler, and that's fine, but don't bash something you seem to know little about.

My own 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon has a Motorcraft filter on it that I paid 50 cents for at Walmart.

Autolite is owned by Allied Signal (the makers of FRAM).

Originally Posted By: CrAlt
Maybe you just don't like Chrysler, and that's fine, but don't bash something you seem to know little about.

Oh you got me. Your right. I know nothing about chryslers...

Everything ive brought from a chrysler dealership or MOPAR Performance has turned out to be sub-par or over priced. I could list stuff all day but ill just say ive wasted tons of money on "genuine" parts and ive learned my lesson. Chrysler will never get another cent of my money. The aftermarket does it better and all that stuff you listed could be had else ware for less.

OP: Sorry to drift OT.

Well, if you owned a Cherokee with a right angle filter mount, you could spend $12 at the Ford dealer for the O ring or over $100 for the right angle mount ..instead of the $3 for two O rings ..and $45 for the whole mount. You used to be able to buy the Modine oil cooler for $100 list from the MOPAR performance catalog ..or you could go to Ford for the exact same thing for $300+ ...

..but quality demands its price ...
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back