Toyota Diesel, followup UOA, M1 TDT 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, new to the forum, so let me know if I'm messing something up.

Background: I imported a used Japanese market 1KZ-TE toyota turbodiesel engine to install into a 4runner. Approx 80k miles on the clock. I pulled a sample of the oil that came in the engine, and sent it to Polaris for a UOA, just to see what I was dealing with. i had no idea of the time on the oil, what type, etc. It came back looking like a good oil, however polaris flagged the potassium saying it could point to coolant in the oil. The relevant numbers were Si 22 - Na 54 - K 45, the silicon may have been high due to the very dirty air filter that came with the engine.

I filled with regular pennzoil 5w-30 and ran it for about 10 minutes idling just to flush the K out, then drained and let it sit for about a month letting gravity get everything it could out, and filled with Mobil1 5w-40 Turbo Diesel Truck.

I got the engine installed, and a sample was pulled at ~1500 miles. For the record, I had the valve cover off just before pulling this sample, and approx 1000 of those miles were using the mentioned dirty air filter, while I waited on a replacement to come from Japan. This may explain the Si of 26. I'm not yet worried about that number, as I plan to refill with TDT before a roadtrip coming up soon.

The latest results were as follows:
Iron 6
Chromium 0
Nickel 0
Aluminum 1
Copper 0
Lead 3
Tin 0
Cadmium 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Silicon 26
Sodium 1
Potassium 1
Moly 5
Antimony 0
Mang 0
Lithium 0
Boron 58
magnesium 532
Calcium 2501
Barium 0
Phos 1222
Zinc 1504
Fuel Soot Water Vis @ 100C 17.1cs (?)
TBN 10.9

K seems in line, though those 1500 miles were using a coolant pretty low on Antifreeze while I waited on my final cooling hose config to show up from Japan. it has since been brought up to spec (full bottle of a/f + DI water) so I'll keep an eye on that in the future.. but what worries me is the viscosity. Polaris flagged that as being too high, and I have to wonder, after only 1500 miles what would make Delvac thicken up like that?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice,

Justin

Not to worry. It looks great. My first guess is that the viscosity is not that far out of spec and may be simply a lab error. TDT is on the thick side when I test samples from my Jetta. So far, I have no cam problems, quite unlike some others.

It is a great engine, but it's begging for a different transmission. I bought it with the A343F automatic, and went ahead and installed it that way, mainly to cut down on initial work, and see if I could stand it. Well, I can't. I've got an R151F manual sitting on the floor of my garage, and am about to start collecting the bellhousing and other parts I need to install that.

Otherwise, good power, good economy so far, etc. Very happy to have this engine installed and running. Once I get the intercooler setup I'm looking for ~30mpg... that'll be the icing on the cake.

You guys get some great engines over there..

[censored], sorry I'm a Zinc and Phosphorous whore, is that CJ-4 M1 TDT? I am crossing my fingers and hoping so...

Sorry, but I'm not 100% certain.

I do remember doing an oil change in my TDI just before when I filled up the Toyota, and that was CJ-4. We have a lot of powerstroke/cummins/duramax owners around here and I'd say we moved through the CI-4/4+ stuff pretty quickly. If I had to guess I'd say CJ-4, but nothing concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back