New BMW K 1200 R recommended oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2008 BMW K 1200 R. I read the owners manual and it recommends a "mineral 10W-40."
Does this mean that BMW doesn't want me to use a synthetic oil? If so, why not?
Also, BMW "recommends Castrol oil."
What the [censored]? Is Castrol supplying BMW with free oil and sponsorship for them to say that? Or is Castrol really THAT good? I was considering Castrol 5w-40 full synthetic motorcycle oil because of this recommendation, and wanting to strengthen any warranty claim that may pop up. I've heard mention here that the Castrol 5W-40 is made in Italy. Does anyone know if AGIP makes this oil? They make a full synthetic 5W-40 motorcycle oil under their own AGIP label. Is it the same oil?

Am I confused? Are these oils I've mentioned a good choice for my bike? Whats a better oil?

What should I run in my bike? Should I just run BMW's 10W-40 mineral oil?

I'm really wanting a synthetic in the tank so I can run the bike hot in hot weather if necessary without worrying about the oil punking out.

Thanks for any info or opinions.

I know a few BMW riders here use Rotella 15w-40 with excellent results.

If you think that syn is going to prevent oil from puking out you are wrong.

The oil puking out on BMW is caused by a defective cap. They have a recall on that one. Yours should have the new cap.

Plenty of motor cycle and other motors going down the road in hot hot weather using good old normal oil with no issues.

Nice bike! Post photos...
thumbsup2.gif

Also
welcome2.gif

Bill

Does it offer any details beyond "a mineral 10W-40?" Any particular specifications, such as "SJ or higher?" or "JASO-MA" or anything?

I don't know if BMW has a marketing relationship with Castrol. My neighbor has a Ducati and they have a plate on the engine encouraging the use of some Shell oil -- not Rotella, some "Supra" or something. The point is ... I think these bike manufacturers enter into some kind of reciprocal relationship with lubrication companies. Why? I have no idea. No doubt money is at the core.

I use Rotella 15W-40 mineral in my GL1800 Goldwing. It's a different beast from your BMW, but I think the oil is certainly stout enough to serve you well. Heck, so too would Castrol. Or Havoline. Or any halfway-decent oil.

Mineral vs. Synthetic? I'm convinced the only value in synthetic for a water-cooled bike is extended oil changes. But if that's not your plan, then a mineral should do just fine.

My opinion, as you requested. :)

Castrol has a long-standing relationship with BMW. They produce all factory fill oil and transmission fluids for BMW cars and bikes. Part of the relationship entails BMW recommending Castrol in the owners manual.

As I pointed out in another post, you will note if you look closely at your owner's manual that your bike can use a JASO MA approved 15w-40.

Shell Rotella 15w-40 carries this approval and is nearly ideal for your bike. I would bet money that it will suffer less viscosity shear than any 10w-40 mineral oil on the market.

I use it with far more confidence than I would just about any mineral bike specific oil. It would probably outperform a very large segment of the motorcycle synthetics on the market as well.

My bike is identical mechanically to yours.

Welcome to BITOG! You'll feel much more comfortable using HDEO's in your bike once you spend a few hours reading here.

Quote:

Totally unrelated to the good info being disseminated here, but inside the gas compartment lid of my new Taurus X is "Ford recommends BP gasoline", with the little BP logo. Good grief!!
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Quote:

Totally unrelated to the good info being disseminated here, but inside the gas compartment lid of my new Taurus X is "Ford recommends BP gasoline", with the little BP logo. Good grief!!
smirk2.gif

BMW recommends Castrol because BMW is paid and is therefore contractually obliged to recommend Castrol. Even still, GC works really well in my 330ci. Interestingly, my transmission's factory fill ("lifetime") fluid is an Esso product. Even they don't follow their recommendation strictly.

After a reasonable break-in period I'll advise you try either the Amsoil AMO 10W-40 or AME 15W-40 synthetics: both shift wonderfully, the AME in gallons is probably the cheape$t (lea$t expen$ive) way going to get 100% synthetic oil for your new ride.

These oils will serve you very well!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back