New(used) Ford Fusion; tire $$, WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
We (for my wife) purchased a used Ford Fusion SEL, 4 cylinder automatic yesterday. I'm lucky it has almost new tires (Firestone Firehawk). I guess Ford selected the size for looks, and was stuck with all being V rated. Factory fitment, as I understand it, was Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 225/50-17 94V.

This is not another thread on lowering the speed rating ... with a software 114 MPH limit, I understand, H really would be more than fine ... but WOW the prices for almost any tire, and all in V rating.

Why are quite a few of that size XL rated?

I had that size on my Fusion. I went with the Falken ZE-912. They are a great 3-season tire at snow, but they might work for your area. If you check tirerack, there are quite a few options around the $100 price. The OEM Michelins are over-priced.

I just checked... Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (one of the best all-season tires out there) is only $99/tire in that size at TR. I'm used to paying way more than that for tires, so to me these prices are actually quite reasonable. I guess it depends on your point of reference. :)

How do you like the car?

It is ridiculous though - Ive been griping about this for a while now.

TO have such pricey tires is unsustainable. Average joe isnt going to pay $100/tire, he will keep his tires on longer, buy used tires, plug them, etc.

All in all this makes for less safety on the roads...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I just checked... Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (one of the best all-season tires out there) is only $99/tire in that size at TR. I'm used to paying way more than that for tires, so to me these prices are actually quite reasonable. I guess it depends on your point of reference. :)
I looked there too, that must be a closeout or something, GREAT price. Actually, I looked at the Costco site; all over $180 installed. They don't list the Traction TA-V which I'm 99% sure they'll sell and mount, probably at a more reasonable price. I'm not used to spending over about $500/set for a higher performance 6 cylinder car, much less for a slow economy car ...
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How do you like the car?
I bought it for my wife; we looked at 5 or 6 and this met her $$ and feature needs. It drives very well, the onboard data computer showed about 29 mpg for the 50 miles I did in it. I would have preferred one without a moonroof but it wasn't on anything on the lot. I'm 6-4 with lots of fat on my bottom ... sit high ... and have to recline to not bump. I'd PERSONALLY like more steering wheel adjustability up, and quicker ... entry and exit. But it is for her, not me. Aside ... despite being an engineer, I'm not about speed and power. My ride is a Chevy Venture loaded with tools and equipment, as low performance as there is, I'd guess. I do want wet weather performance as I seem to need to drive (too fast) in rainy weather. "It always rains on my parade."

If tire prices are a concern to you, why did you buy a car with 50 series tires on 17 inch wheels?
21.gif

$71

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
It is ridiculous though - Ive been griping about this for a while now.

TO have such pricey tires is unsustainable. Average joe isnt going to pay $100/tire, he will keep his tires on longer, buy used tires, plug them, etc.

All in all this makes for less safety on the roads...

$100 a tire is cheap in Canada for a 15" one, let alone a 17"... I don't really get it, how can 13" tires be $40-80 and 15" and up be $100-300? I understand that there is twice as much materials in a bigger tire but I doubt materials make up 10% of the retail price. If 17" tires need to cost $200 for everyone to make a decent profit, then how can they sell a 13" for $40?

Originally Posted By: XS650
If tire prices are a concern to you, why did you buy a car with 50 series tires on 17 inch wheels?
21.gif

That's an easy one to answer ... she liked it, I liked it, price was great. It was the lack of lower priced offerings, not an absolute aversion to spending money.

My message seems to be have taken as a troll; it wasn't. As I said, the tires on it are in very good condition, Firestone Firehawk. I won't need tires, the way she drives, for probably 2-3 years; I just do research.

BUT, my post had only one question which no one has addressed responding to what seemed, I guess, like that nasty troll ... why are quite a few of this size, which I would expect to be a sporty car tire, available in XL ratings?

The reason is most low profile 17" and larger tires are already have sidewall re-enforced to be able to have V or higher speed rated. Also, they are for cars not SUV's or trucks therefore car and tire manufactures do not see the need for XL tires.

I missed your XL question. They are probably XL because the tire construction allows them to be used at a higher pressure without problems rather than a real need for the XL rating.

You guys are huffing about $100/tire. Tires (265/70/16 or 75/16) for my Nissan Frontier run anywhere from about $150 to $210/tire at BJs.

Quote:

I'd have to disagree at first glance. The reason you see these ridiculous sizes is becuase a large portion of buyers want these things ONLY FOR THE LOOKS!
I recall years ago, mini-blazers where out only a couple years, but a comment I overheard from a buyer to the salesman, and this is a direct quote: "Are you sure these are the biggest tires I can get on this?". Bling bling started long before dubs and donks hit the scene.

Alex.

Originally Posted By: GMGuy
I recall years ago, mini-blazers where out only a couple years, but a comment I overheard from a buyer to the salesman, and this is a direct quote: "Are you sure these are the biggest tires I can get on this?". Bling bling started long before dubs and donks hit the scene.

But it is possible that the guy actually planned to use the vehicle off road and would have benefited from larger tires. You can't say anything like that about unnecessarily large rims.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
You guys are huffing about $100/tire. Tires (265/70/16 or 75/16) for my Nissan Frontier run anywhere from about $150 to $210/tire at BJs.

I was just going to post the same thing. bottom of the line, no name, made in china, in that size start at $100.

Don't go by what the oem tires cost, that's silly. Figure $100 for a decent tire on a newer car is a given. Remember guys, $100 isn't what it used to be! afaik, many new cars are 16", like my Accord, and that's more like a $80 adventure. I'm just getting over the quattro awd experience when you need all 4 tires to be the same all the time. That is an expensive pita.

I just got 2 16" Pilots at about 1/2 price, $80. Should be a nice tire. At $100 for a 17", that's just like wow, I'd be stocking up, at LEAST 2 of them. I've stored new tires for over a year before use. Specificly 4 Falken 912s that cost me only $140 for a SET!

What year is your Fusion? If you don't have TPS (06-07), you could easily put a set of the SE 16" wheels/tires on. You have many economic choices in the 205/60R16s (starting at $57).

Originally Posted By: Boomer

Boomer - What are you running? TireRack has General's Grabber HTS 265-70-16, which are very highly rated, for $103.00/ea. We're looking at a set of 'em, delivered, for $485.00.

Originally Posted By: George Bynum
We (for my wife) purchased a used Ford Fusion SEL, 4 cylinder automatic yesterday. I'm lucky it has almost new tires (Firestone Firehawk). I guess Ford selected the size for looks, and was stuck with all being V rated. Factory fitment, as I understand it, was Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 225/50-17 94V.

This is not another thread on lowering the speed rating ... with a software 114 MPH limit, I understand, H really would be more than fine ... but WOW the prices for almost any tire, and all in V rating.

Why are quite a few of that size XL rated?

crossover SUV/van sized tires.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
What year is your Fusion? If you don't have TPS (06-07), you could easily put a set of the SE 16" wheels/tires on. You have many economic choices in the 205/60R16s (starting at $57).
I was less than clear ... I'm satisfied with the tires, and the prices don't scare me, $$ just surprised me as I did my quick research on tires and lamps. I try to keep one each of lamps, but not tires. I think my surprise is that a family car, and using Luxury for the "L" in SEL (not really, but isn't that what Ford wants us to think?), I was surprised at a less than common size. Honestly, I would have been more content with the SE wheel/tire, but this was used and inexpensive.

It is an '07 without the TPS. We are in South Carolina and it doesn't get cold enough long enough to go to winter tires ... I'd do the 16" route if it did ... maybe 15" if wheels and 195/70-15 winter tires were available ... but the wife would likely divorce me over 4 tires in the garage ...

But this was a comment on the cost of Ford's size selection more than on the cost of tires in general. I put Bridgestone Touranza LS-T 225/60-16 on her last car, not a CHEAP tire ... but very good traction in wet weather. They've been good, and are discontinued. I've Michelin HydroEdge on mine ... same reason. Thanks for everyone's comments and insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back