What oil in your Mower and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use RP 10W-30 MaxCycle in my 6 hp Kawasaki powered JD JX75 and 13 hp V-twin Kawasaki KAI powered SCAG. I figure it's good oil for an air cooled engine.

Oil: Rotella HD 30W in Toro Recycler (Tecumseh LV195 6.5hp)

Why: Got a 5 quart jug for $9.99; should last for a couple of years

Last edited:
Shell Rotella T, either straight 30 or 10-30. As the other guys noted, you'll be replacing lots of other parts before the engine goes.
thumbsup2.gif

1/4 quart Mobil Clean 5000 10w40 (SL)
1/4 quart Pennzoil 10w40 (SL)
1/4 quart Castrol GTX 10w40 (SM)

The Mobil and Pennzoil were from the original change and they were old leftovers. The Castrol GTX was for top offs. Oil has ~25 hrs on it and I'm change it come Spring. I'm probably gonna use 30w this time, to help stop the slow oil burning.

BTW, engine is a 1997 Briggs & Stratton.

Last edited:
B&S 5.5HP, 50/50 mix of mobil 1 10w30 and 15w50. Why? Why not. =-)

The mower the above replaced was a 1965 vintage b&s it got whatever was around, usually 10w30 valvoline, it was retired in early 2002ish as it became at mosquito fogger as much as a lawn mower.

Alex.

Mobil 1 TDT in my international harvester built cub cadet 1650, in my 12 hp briggs (snapper rear engine rider) and the 11 hp briggs on my john deere 108. i use the TDT year round. why? the cubby starts really well in this record breaking snow fall we got last month, its a (i think) group 4 oil, and i just really like it.

I now use 10W-40 synthetic motorcycle oil.

I use it because oil temps can go over 240F in my John Deere riding mower. It has fantastic anti wear, anti foam, antioxidents, anti rust, higher HTHS, and was designed with air cooled engines in mind.

I enjoy playing with my toys so it gets oil changed every 25 hours. Naturally it has two coats of Meguiars gold Class and the rubber floor boards treated with Armor-all. Tires get Armor-all also.

Delo 30 weight, it was $.99 a gallon a few years ago and I loaded up. Change every other year.

Rotella-T 10W30 HDEO in everything (6 small engines). The HDEO has good dispersant qualities for the engines with no filters and good protection (ZDDP) for the ones that have pressurized systems with filters. I also use it in my 38hp utility tractor and diesel pickup, so it makes for some consolidation. I change annually on the engines without filters, semi-annually on the one with a filter

Last edited:
I was using 10W30 conventional motor oil in my Troybilt mower with Honda engine but I am going to stop using Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 synthetic.

M1 10W-30, mainly as we can't get a xW-30 HDEO here, xW-30 syns are hard to get, and Honda don't spec an xW-40 for the mower.

I use Rotella SAE 30 or 15w40 in everything at the moment...the oil seems to hold up very well.

Main reason I used it is because I did run it in my truck...it held up OK in the truck. Now that I have converted to 5w40 S9k Schaeffers, they will get that...I like using a single oil for those things I can.

What ever dino 10w30 i have sitting around. Now that i have tons of Super-Tech that is what my mower will get in the spring.

I have a push mower with a techumse that is 10 or 12 years oil I use what ever is left over from my auto use .If I had a lawn tractor I would use a HDEO whether syn or dino.

Formula shell mix 2to 1 30wt/40wt. I got it for a quarter a bottle. Mower takes~1/2 qt. to change so I got about 10 yrs. worth, even covering topups. Guessing thats about the expected lifetime of the 80$ mower I use it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back