Alternative For Nissan Type D ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1999 Nissan Maxima.

Not sure what to use in this application.

Have read several posts indicating interchangability with newer fluids (i.e. Dexron VI, etc.)

Can someone clarify what ATF can be used where a type D is required.

Matic-D is speced to Dexron III. Since Dex III is no longer licensed, you need to find a new fluid that is back speced to DEX III compatibility. Dex VI is one of them. You can also use many multi-vehicle formulas that include Matic-D compatibility. Pennzoil and Castrol are some of the fluids off hand that fit this spec.

I have a '99 Maxima myself and have used Mobil1 ATF and Amsoil ATF with excellent results. They are both full synthetic. I do prefer the Amsoil ATF as it made shifts a bit smoother and whining in cold weather while the car is first started and put into D or R, has been eliminated with this fluid.

I would also recommend the Amsoil ATF over the Amsoil ATD mentioned above. Amsoil ATF clearly states Matic-D compatibility.

Last edited:
Either ATF or ATD will work. If you want a little higher viscosity in Tampa, go with ATD. If you want a more modern additive package and base oils, go with ATF.

If you choose Amsoil I'd use their ATF too.

I used Dexron VI for the last exchange in my 1997. A few months and a few thousand miles later I am happy with it. Overall performance seems slightly better than the (far from spent) Dexron III(H) it replaced.

Redline D4 also fits the Dex III spec. The transfer case in my G35X specs Matic-D and I swapped it with D4 with no issues. D4 has been in roughly 15k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back