Pento High 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use this motor oil. I plan on using this stuff with my next oil change on my bmw. I believe its full syn.

043541.jpg

7903.jpg

Here are the specs

Quality Level
API SL/CF
ACEA A3/B4
Opel GM LL-B-025
Approvals
BMW LL 98
MB-Approval 229.3
VW-Specification 502 00 / 505 00
Product Classification
The product is not classified as
dangerous.
Pento High Performance 5W-40 Typical Data
Unit Result Method
Appearance bright and clear visual
Density at 15 °C kg/m³ 857 DIN EN ISO 12185
Kinematic Viscosity at 100 °C mm²/s 13,8 DIN EN ISO 3104
Kinematic Viscosity at 40 °C mm²/s 86 DIN EN ISO 3104
Viscosity Index 167 DIN ISO 2909
Dynamic Viscosity at -30 °C mPa*s 5900 ASTM D5293
Pour Point °C -36 ISO 3016
Flash Point °C 220 DIN EN ISO

Interesting that they specifically mention it prevents 'black sludge' formation - specific reference to the 'Back Death' that many Euro engines suffered from in the early 1980's...

We complain about NA oil ideas being 'mired in the past' - ie, Pennzoil causes sludge, 10W-40 is the best viscosity, syn oils cause leak...etc, but Europe is just as bad about bringing up issue that happened a long, long time ago....

Sorry to go kinda OT.

Actually, Black Death did rear its ugly head again in Europe just a few years ago. Many people were using cheap (They expected inexpensive, but got a cheap product) bulk oil from their local home improvement centers, and they also did extended drains without considering the consequences. Negligence is an ubiquitous problem.

Originally Posted By: avus_blue
Anyone use this motor oil. I plan on using this stuff with my next oil change on my bmw.

What's the year/model of your car?

FYI, the BMW LL-98 spec was subsequently replaced with LL-01. But I guess that spec mainly matters if you're going to run extended drains with it. What kind of OCI are you planning with this oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: moribundman
Negligence is an ubiquituous problem.

Bad mori! I institute a grace period of 24 hours for all board members!
LOL.gif

And interestingly enough, the 5-liter container label shows that it meets the BMW LL-04 spec. Looks like the 5-liter stuff is a newer API SM version... not sure if necessarily better.

12761.jpg

you are looking at the the "PENTO HIGH PERFORMANCE II" which is LL-04. I drive a 98 323is, so the LL-98 works for me. typical oci for me is 5000 mi, but i use M1 10w30 (A1/A5) right now, going to switch to pento high because its A3 oil.

Originally Posted By: avus_blue
you are looking at the the "PENTO HIGH PERFORMANCE II" which is LL-04.

Right. The question is, are both these two varieties still being produced or was the old version replaced by PERFORMANCE II and the 1-liter stuff you bought is just some leftovers?

Quote:

I drive a 98 323is, so the LL-98 works for me. typical oci for me is 5000 mi, but i use M1 10w30 (A1/A5) right now, going to switch to pento high because its A3 oil.

Have you considered GC 0w-30? It meets all the specs, is cheaper than this Pento High, and can be found at many AutoZone and PepBoys locations. Regardless, I'm sure you'll be fine with this Pento High oil. I'd be interesting to see a UOA down the road.

By the way, both these Pento High oils are listed under the "HC" category as opposed to "Fully synthetic" category on Pentosin's website. If "HC" stands for hydrocracked, then these are Group III oils. Again, that does not make them bad. Just pointing out the facts.

Quote:

Have you considered GC 0w-30? It meets all the specs, is cheaper than this Pento High, and can be found at many AutoZone and PepBoys locations. Regardless, I'm sure you'll be fine with this Pento High oil. I'd be interesting to see a UOA down the road.

How much are you paying for GC 0w30 at Autozone/Pepboys? Not only is it hard to find in my area (low stock), they run $8 a qt. I am buying PH 5w40 for $5.50 a qt.

Oh, I see. I thought the PH was more expensive, factoring in shipping. Last time I bought GC it was on sale for around $5/qt.

As far as most automobile operating avg joes here in NA would like to believe: black sludge death happened to European cars in the 80s and 90s as well, citing a classic car restoration mag (published in the UK, my favourite passtime reading in the 90s) that a lot of cars in UK and Europe suffered from same problems of oil-related sludge problems similar to that of their US counterparts. Again, as oil companies reformulate their oils to combat the sludge problem and be able to keep up with the changes in emissions, gasoline formulations and deposit control.

As far as the 2 different labels, I've asked our suppliers and have been told the 1 liter bottles are just left over containers.

IMO, the oil inside is all the latest blend.

The Pento High II is a Group 3 oil, PentoSpeed is a Group 4 oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back