BMW 323i code help...TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi and thanks in advance.

My son called me about a problem with a check engine light on his 2000 323i. He was able to have a buddy pull a code. He googled the code and sent me this info.......My guess is it needs a set of plugs. He's 3000 miles away so this is the only help I can offer him.
-----------------------------------------------------------

His email:
The code is P0304...Googles coming up with Coils, Injectors, and/or
Spark Plugs. The Service Engine Soon light comes on after about 20 mins
of driving, and doesn't stay on permanently...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

If it is plugs what would be the best plug for a 2000 BMW 323i? My son changed plugs with me once on a 4.3 Blazer. Since I'm not there to help how hard are the BMW plugs to do for a novice?

Thanks
Frank D

He said the car seems to be running fine, he did notice this morning it was idling a little faster than normal, but he only ran it a very short run.

If it was the gas cap, does he have to reset the codes? If so how's that done!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks!

Frank D

I thought all vehicles, regardless of make, had to adhere to universal OBD-II standards from 1996 to present.

P0304 is universally defined as "cylinder 4 misfire detected". It has nothing to do with camshaft sensor issues. You are correct in that it could be the coil, plug wire, spark plug, or injector issues. Chances are it's the spark plug.

I think the guys on that BMW forum got the code backwards. P034X, where X can be 0 thru 9, are camshaft sensor issues.

I copy and pasted info my son googled. My initial feelings was that the car needed plugs based on his info.

Would changing the plugs be a safe bet?

Any particular plug that BMW likes?

Is the R&R of BMW plugs a big deal? Can you tell I never looked under the hood of his car, I did brakes for him almost 2 years ago on a visit, but didn't explore the engine bay.

Thanks!

Frank D

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Are there any other symptoms apart from the check engine light being on?

It looks like P0304 can also indicate camshaft position sensor issue or even loose gas cap...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=718371&highlight=P0304

That's not loose gas cap code, they are related to EVAP system codes. P0300 means random misfire, P0301 means misfire in cylinder 1 and so forth. Therefore, this car has a misfire in cylinder #4 per the P0304 code. Sounds like either a bad coil (if the engine has a coil for each plug), bad plug and/or sparkplug wire. Additionally, you could have a bad fuel injector in that cylinder that would also cause a misfire.

Sorry Axe man - didn't see you posted the same info. You are correct in respect to OBDII codes.

I think I'm going to have him change the plugs out and go from there. His buddy cleared the codes, but I have a feeling his light will be on again.

What's the best brand plugs for a BMW? I was thinking NGK?

The plugs are a piece of cake on the 323i. Since it's a I-6 everything is mounted on top of the engine and easily accessible.

Remove the center valance where the cabin air filter resides. Remove the seal that runs across the back of the engine compartment. This will give access to the entire valve cover.

Remove the plastic cover over the valve cover. This will give you access to the coils which sit on top of the plugs. The coils are held in place with metal clips which are easily pushed out of the way releasing the coil from the holder. Remove the wiring harness from each oil, unlatch the coils from their holders and remove the coil from the plug. You remove the plug in the usual manner that you remove a plug from any other engine. Keep in mind that the plugs sit deeply inside of the plug well so you'll need a 6" extension.

NGK is the OEM plug in the 323i. I'd use them as replacement too.

Thanks guys! I'll put an email together for him! Is the plug gap info on a tag under the hood?

Being 3000 miles away sucks!

Thanks again!

Frank D

Really? I only know American cars, and a few of the Japanese cars, and always gapped my plugs. BMW is new to me. Good to know, one less thing my son has to deal with!
thumbsup2.gif

I'm guessing after he does the plugs he should clear the codes again?

Thanks
Frank D

Last edited:
I guess the question should be how many miles has the car gone on its current set of plugs and are they the OEM plugs? According to BMW, the OEM plugs are good for 100k miles, but that's under ideal conditions.

He bought the car used about 2 years ago, with about 90K on it. He probably has about 105,000 miles on it now, and I doubt they changed the plugs.

I always checked things out for him. He bought it after his deployment, and called to inform me he was the proud owner of a BMW after he bought the car. He's in WA, I'm in NY, and trying to help guide him through his repair issues. Now he's wishing he would have taken more interest when I tried to show him how to work on a car.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
He bought the car used about 2 years ago, with about 90K on it. He probably has about 105,000 miles on it now, and I doubt they changed the plugs.

In that case he should replace them, whether they're the cause of the engine light or not. If that doesn't help, the coilpacks would be the next thing to zoom in on, as mechtech2 pointed out. They're pricey though, but at least you know which one is at fault. BTW, if it is the coilpack and if you take that coilpack from cylinder 4 and put it in another cylinder, theoretically that error code should now correspond to the new cylinder location.

Last edited:
I sent him an email suggesting that he change the 6 plugs first clear codes and cross his fingers. I told him if the light comes back on to have a look at the coil pack, and I'd help trouble shoot if needed.

I have my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help!

Frank D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back