Is slightly overfilled with oil ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I last changed the oil in my 2008 Tacoma 4X4 2.7L MT, I put in a little more oil than required to bring it to full mark, mostly due to the fact I didn't have to replace the filter. the oil level on the dipstick right now showing a little less than a 1/4 inch above the full line. Is this OK, or do I need to go thru the messy process of draining some of the excess oil.

I heard it is worse to overfill the trans or diff than to overfill the crankcase. Sorry not much help.

Instead of trying to drain some, use a suction hand pump ($5 at most stores) and siphon from the fill plug. Mine pulls 4oz of fluid with each pump.

I've added 5 qts of oil to engines calling for 4 1/2 qts of oil for years w/o any problems. So I would say if you are ~ 1/2 qt over you have nothing to worry about. From the sound of it, your probably less than that.

If you were a qt of oil over I would be a little concerned. Years ago people with the older overhead cam engines (late 60's) many people added a full qt more oil to those engines.

HTH
Frank D

AFAIK, the risks are more foaming, higher parasitic drag, and higher stress on your front and rear main seals. It's not instantly fatal, but you don't want to continue it for hundreds and hundreds of miles.

I have the same engine in my Tacoma, and I just use 6 quarts when I change it out. It ends up showing a tad high on the dipstick, but that's no big deal.

If you're going to change your oil without changing your filter, at least take the filter off and drain it, then put it back on.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
oops, I saw MT and thought of the transmission

:)

Seeing your post made me want to ask you something. What`s the effects of overfilling a manual transmission or rear diff? I`ve read where people will angle their cars a certain way to be able to stuff more oil in their trannies and rear diffs. I`ve never ever done this,but what`s the general outcome if you do?

No problem with your amount! Guaranteed! I was a professional. I would change the filter .I wouldn't remove the filter to drain the oil out though.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
it will more than likely foam up the oil,which is not good.
That anount of oil will not foam up.Where did you get that idea?

Originally Posted By: Steve S
No problem with your amount! Guaranteed! I was a professional.

A professional soothsayer?

No issues at all. You can be as much as 1 quart high with no major issues. I don't recommend it, but it's nothing to worry about.

If you're anal like me though, it will drive you CRAZY every time you look at the dipstick. I did it once and after about a week my wife told me to either get my [censored] outside and drain it or shut the [censored] up about it. :)

You will be perfectly fine. It's probably better for the vehicle. More add pack.

I wouldn't want to go a quart+ over or anything, but 1/4 a quart over is ok in my book.

Thanks alot guys, looks like the concensus is that it is OK, which I am glad to hear. saves me alot of hastle and mess trying to drain just a little bit of oil.

appreciate all your advice.

If it was my car, I would not hesitate to drain the extra oil even if it was only 200 mL. I started a head gasket leak doing this and it has never completely stopped. Your vehicle is probably too young for that yet, however

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back