longer filter, same sizish

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello from Jersey.

I went to waste time at Advanced Auto Parts. I finally saw the Pure One everyone's been talking about, and eventually run up on the Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters. I believe it was a 204 for my Jeep. none the less, I saw another few filters next to the proper one for my vehicle.

Question:

Would it be ok to use another filter for a vehicle if the gasket sizes match up? I understand I'd have to put a little bit more oil in, but if it looks like its the same diameter, whats the harm in extra filtration, right?

Thanks. Vehicle specs. are in signature.

-A

This question has been asked recently... There are other factors, such as the thread sizes can be different. The flow-rates, burst pressures, and by-pass pressures. Most of the time you won't notice a difference but it is always good to check the specs on a manufacturers website. Go to the WIX filters website and find the spec's for the filter you are looking at and compare it to the one you are using now. This will give you a better idea.

I have multiple tabs open (all the forums I like) and just keep refreshing them once and a while to see what has changed... So yah, I'm kinda everywhere!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I have multiple tabs open...
LOL.gif

hahhahha, me too! I love this site. My Mother, Brother, and Girl Friend are absolutly sick of me talking about vehicle maintenance, so now I got you mooks.
thankyou2.gif

-A

I know what you mean... My mom thought I was cheating on my other half because I spend so much time on this site and am constantly typing and refreshing tabs... I then started to talk about some of the stuff I learned/read here and now they just fall a sleep listening to me.
LOL.gif

It's so addictive. My new job affords me an internet connection at my desk in my office so now I really can be addicted to this site and other information!
wink.gif

well in tha case, Id recommend the FireFox auto refresh applet. works great for the Bloomberg screen at work. Just Google it.

Later, Man.

-F

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Ford FL-1A fits........

Or, if that one works, you could really go for the gusto and use the FL299/WIX 51773/NAPA 1773.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Go to the WIX filters website and find the spec's for the filter you are looking at and compare it to the one you are using now. This will give you a better idea.

Your filter should cross over to a Wix 51085. This is 3.8 inches long. A number of filters appear to be identical other than the length. These include 51068 (4.3"), 51452, and 51515 (both 5.2").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back