Paper or cellulose media for air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OEM air filter from my Camry is made of cellulose media. Laterly I found that almost all brands of air filters (Purolater, STP, Fram, Denso) for my car are made of cellulose and quality wise they seems to be identical. Yesterday, I picked up the last Fram air filter that is made of paper (new old stock, maybe, or someone returned?) where the rest of the regular air filter from Fram have shifted to cellulose media.
I am wondering which media provides the best result for air flow, since this is the first time that I use a non-cellulose media air filter.

Now, what's the real difference you are aiming at?
Paper = Cellulose so I suppose you mean some other property of the filters? Thickness, texture, feel, or?

if you look at pictures on this pages
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search...amry&Ns=price|0

You will notice the Denso/ToyotaOem and Fram use different media material. The Purolator/Denso/ToyotaOEM use the regular kind of cellulose paper (kind of like a mixture of cotton fiber) and is thicker than the Fram (where its' paper is smoother and thinner and not as cotton fiber like)

The regular cellulose filters such as STP/Purolator/ToyotaOem has 33 pleats and the old Fram's panel filter has 56 pleats. However the latest Fram filters in the exact model number change their paper media to Purolator/STP/ToyotaOem like)

Go to your local Wal-Mart and exam a couple of Fram air filter you will see even same model# has different filter media.

Last edited:
Maybe I should elaborate myself more clearly on this question. There are at least of two media material in my car's air filter. One is paper media, another is a fuzzy media (kind of like cotton cloth). I would like to know which kind has better air flow.

Paper = Cellulose; I think you mean fabric vs. paper.
See Pg. 19 of this document for the 02 Camry Release
http://www.camrystuff.com/manuals/Gen5/2AZ-FE.pdf

Quote:
A flameless, full-fabric air filter has been adopted to reduce weight and to simplify its disposal.

The Fram style which has a hard plastic frame, may compromise its ability to be burned or biodegraded.

I have not seen evidence of filtering efficiency advantage of either material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back