Why now my pages are slow to load?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so just recently pages have been very slow to load at times. This does not happen all the time but when it does it takes a long time for the pages to load, refresh, or for example open a different topic within a forum. I use Firefox as my browser. Everything had been fine for a long time. I have COMODO installed, AVG anti virus, Spybot, Adaware, CCleaner, and a few other common downloads. I have tried rebooting the Modem and the computer. I have run all my spyware and cleaners. Any advice? Thanks!

Just to try to be more clear about what is going on. For example when I click on a post within a forum it can take forever to open back up, it will just sit there with that circle going around and around like its trying to download or open up but it sometimes never does.

Last edited:
Is it only happening on BITOG or all other web pages? If it's only BITOG, then it's not an issue with our modem (or any other hw/software). FYI, sometimes it happens to me too - the BITOG server takes forever to respond. But it's not that common for me.

No sorry I should have mentioned that also. It happens on all different web sites.

It is through my cable company Brighthouse and its Roadrunner.

Here is a list that includes, but is not limited to, in no particular order, potential bug-a-boo's:

... your internet service provider being sketchy

... your internet service provider being overloaded by excessive traffic

... the web and/ or database server being sketchy

... the web and/ or database server being overloaded with excessive traffic

... any one of the myriad servers and gateways that data traverses twixt the server and you having trouble of some sort

... your modem

... your browser

... your OS's networking stack

... other downloads or network activity

... some of the boatload of antivirus, spyware and what-not programs that you've got going interrupting the proceedings in some way

... Ted Stevens receiving an internet and clogging up all the tubes

I came across this little number that might help clear things up, reposted here with profuse apologies to the author and BITOG'ers everywhere:

The Net is Slow

Oh, the network outside is frightful,
But on campus, it's so delightful,
Our packets have nowhere to go,
Net is slow, net is slow, net is slow.

It doesn't show signs of stopping,
All our packets, our hosts are dropping;
Bandwidth is turned way down low,

When we finally connect to a site,
It's time to go back to the dorm;
But if I could stay here all night,
I could submit their Web form.

The network is slowly dying,
And, I fear, we're still denying,
But as long as Sprint is the way to go,

I've noticed quite a number of network connection resets and what not, and this has been from both my home and at work.

My step son mentioned some sort of massive DOS attack taking down servers from time to time. So I wonder if this sort of activity is currently causing problems to large tracts of the interweb.

Oh, and it's been more than just BITOG, but nothing inside my companies network. It's all be external websites that had issues the past couple of days.

Its been fine for me all day. (Off work sick with the FLU), but yesterday I couldn't load a page faster than a 14.4 Modem with an old winsock 1.1 connection. (For those of you that remember that)

It was like pulling a fattie away from a buffet!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Noticed it here too. Been slow and random all afternoon. Seems to be running normal now though.

Seems worse when I'm running a torrent.

Depending on which torrent program you use, you can do either or both of these things that may help facilitate consistent *non* torrent traffic with little or no "expense" of torrent speed:

1) You may be able to specify the total number of connections program-wide and per-torrent. My router gets it's arse whooped pretty good unless I keep the number of connections down. I'd try 512 total, 128 per torrent, with a maximum number of simultaneous downloads capped at 4. It's really easy to establish a *whole lot* of connections to peers when using torrents!

2) Limit your upload speed. I use 40KB/s. If you wish to maintain a good ratio you can always just leave the torrent running after it has completed until you've attained your desired ratio.

Also, your program may sport some type of "speed limit" toggle which will alter your bandwidth allotments between two values: your normal (fast) setting and a slower one, meant to be switched on and off when needed. Whenever my parents Skype using audio & video to talk to my daughter, I hit the speed limit switch on Transmission (my torrent program) and clear the IP connection cache in my router.

Hmm.. I'll have to look into that. This is my first experience with torrents. I'm using Opera 9.6 which has torrent support. I have no idea how configurable it is. Might be worthwhile to try a dedicated torrent client.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Hmm.. I'll have to look into that. This is my first experience with torrents. I'm using Opera 9.6 which has torrent support. I have no idea how configurable it is. Might be worthwhile to try a dedicated torrent client.

I haven't used Opera for anything other than checking site rendering in a while, although I am almost positive it was version 9... Opera has something akin to Firefox's "about:config" setup, and you can specify the upload bandwidth, the port and some other cryptic stuff that was not well documented at the time.

EDIT: It's "opera:config", and the bittorrent settings are right up near the top. There is some more info on Opera's opera.ini file (the one you're editing at "opera:config") here: http://www.opera.com/support/usingopera/operaini/#bt

Make certain that whatever is listed as the "listen port" is opened on your firewall and/ or router, and cap the uploads comfortably lower than the real upload cap that your ISP imposes on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back