DVD Rip and Play on Netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Just bought a new netbook, so I need to look for recommendations for ripping a dvd and then playing back via the hard drive, so I can take movies with me when I travel. The netbook does not have a cd/dvd drive. Thanks in advance! Also going to go google to see what comes up.

Use Any DVD & Clone DVD. This will let you decrypt the DVD's copyright encryption on the fly and Clone will let you copy it to another DVD or to the hard drive for playback at another time. You only buy the software once and all the updates are free for life. slysoft is the company that makes both. Very reasonable price too!

Slysoft's free for life updates ended 12/31/2008.
frown.gif

just looked at Slysoft's website:

Extended Offer:
Based on tremendous customer response, SlySoft management has decided to extend both, the current 20% promotion and lifetime free updates, until Sunday, January 11 2009 to give everybody a chance to sneak a peak at 2009 prices and subscription fees for better comparison.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Use Any DVD & Clone DVD. This will let you decrypt the DVD's copyright encryption on the fly and Clone will let you copy it to another DVD or to the hard drive for playback at another time. You only buy the software once and all the updates are free for life. slysoft is the company that makes both. Very reasonable price too!

What software would I need to play the file(s) back after copying to the HDD?

Good to know... Thanks! I might just get it from a Torrent then, I like supporting the company but not that much!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
What software would I need to play the file(s) back after copying to the HDD?

If you're using Windows OS, then you would just need the built-in Windows Media Player plus maybe some standard codecs such as DivX or XviD (both can be downloaded for free) if the content was compressed after the rip.

If the audio was ripped as AC3, then you would also need to install an appropriate decoder - google for "AC3 filter" - it's free as well.

Besides stealing from one of the good guy companies, if you torrent it you won't get the frequent upgrades as they keep up with the various encryption schemes.

But the torrents do keep up I'm sure...
wink.gif
hehehehe

As for the player to play the files... Use VLC-Media player it's small and plays everything out there that I know of...

Use DVD Shrink to rip the movies to a maximum of 4.7 gig VIDEO-TS folder and then play the result in Windows Media. For discs that cannot be ripped, use DVDFab to rip to 7 gig files and DVD Shrink to shrink them to smaller files.

AnyDVD is the only program I know of that will be able to rip just about any protected content on there... If it has trouble with it, you just wait till a patch comes out then Viola! Shrink is a good program too, but it doesn't break the copy-protection... Need to use a program like AnyDVD.
wink.gif

No it's only a copy-right breaking thingy... Shrink / Clone are the ones that will shrink the files to fit on a single-layer 4.7gb DVD. There are many more programs out there as well. But nothing in my opinion works as easy as Shrink/Clone for doing the actual shrinking/burning. Any-DVD is also the only copy-right breaking thingy that I have seen that works so flawlessly that even a kid could do it.

I should add... AnyDvd is a program that has an icon in the system tray that watches what Discs you put in the DVD drive and cracks/corrects any copy-right protection that prevents you from reading the disc properly. The Clone/Shrink software is what lets you remove frames/compress the video to fit on a smaller 4.7gb DVD or save it to the hard drive to watch on your netbook etc. Once you have made a copy of a DVD to another DVD or a hard drive you no longer have to use ANYDVD/CLONE/SHRINK to make another copy again because it's now copyright free. You can then burn it with things like Nero etc. More info and how-to's on Slysoft's website.

Once you have done 1 and see how easy it is to "Back Up" your movies you will never use anything else... I have my complete library of video's "Backed Up" so I don't need to use/loan the originals out because I have some stuff that is no longer being produced...

handbrake... Never heard of it.... Good to know. I was holding off buying a Mac because that was the 1 thing I didn't know could be done... Mind you I didn't really research it thoroughly... YAY! Mac here I come!

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
I did not even know there was a Windows version of this until today, but Handbrake has long been the preferred DVD rip application for Mac users, and is catching on quickly among Linux users: Handbrake

I use MacTheRipper to rip my DVDs on my Mac. Then I use Handbrake to size (also frame rate, sound, compression etc) the movies to something useable on my Linux internet tablet. For example, I have the complete extended LOTR trilogy on one 8 GB memory card in very good quality.

DVDFab platinum is the bomb.

When dvd shrink, dvd decrypter, and clone dvd couldn't rip. DVD fab platinum ripped fantastic. I can't wait to get my hands on the dark knight from the library. I heard they put all kinds copyright protection on it.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back