Modern Substitute for Type A ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you benjamming. I meant for that last line to read "GM now specifies Dexron VI where Dexron III had been specified FOR THEIR CARS".

My first choice would be Mercon V. My second choice would be a synthetic multi-purpose ATF that includes Dexron III, Mercon, and Mercon V (I think Mobil 1 ATF fits that category). My third choice would be a current product that claims to be equivalent to Dexron III / Mercon.

That's funny, as the C6 in my old F series specified Dexron II here in Australia, I'll see if I can locate the Specs.

I know at the time I was a bit blown away by a GM fluid being specified in a Ford tranny, but that's what the book said and was the recommendation from all the oil companies here at the time.
This was a 1980 vehicle that I acquired in 1990 and had the transmission re-built.
I ran Neo, then Amsoil in it towing race cars all over the country and as my daily work vehicle and the transmission never let me down. It was behind a pretty warm 351C.

Last edited:
Well, just checked an original Ford Australia manual and it does indeed specify ESP-M2C138-CJ fluid.

The Dex II recommendation must have been by Castrol Oz who's oils I pretty much used exclusively then.

Originally Posted By: Big Jim
CJ fluid probably was Dexron II.

yep.

"M2C138-CJ and M2C166-H
Introduced to deal with problems with the C-6 and C-5 transmissions, these are satisfied by DEXRON®-IID."

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Big Jim meant Dexron VI not Mercon VI.

OK, I'll go with the Dexron VI then!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back