2001 Taurus door lock latch freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with the driver's door latch to my 2001 Taurus freezing at times. It is not the lock and the door lock buttons will move. It is just that you can get the door open but when you try to close it, it will not latch. You then have to drive around holding the door until it gets warmed up and will then latch.

I have lubed the heck out of the latch and flicked it back and forth repeatedly to loosen it up and get the lube in there.

Is this a common problem and do I need a new latch?

Perhaps a little MMO? Clean up a bit of the gunk while providing lube.

If that dose not work, you may need a new door latch.

I contacted a Ford dealership and the service writer told me to clean it up really good and then use white lithium grease on it. He said it is thicker, will stay around longer, and should keep the moisture out.

Last edited:
Many service writers don't know what is best........I should know I was one for a while.
whistle.gif

He is actually right. But if you have a sticking latch you have to go to plan b.

The door switch for the light on my 98 Taurus got stuck. I used WD-40 and it freed it up.

I normally use Amsoil MP to lube the latch. Hard for white grease to get in the latch assy. Might have to replace if nothing loosens it.

Last edited:
oilboy has a point. I never understood how grease could get inside any latch or door hinge.
My favorite sauce is motorcycle chain oil that sprays on thin, then the carrier evaporates to leave a heavy grease.

The White Lithium spray I bought sprays on like a WD-40 but then kind of foams up and stays like that. I think it penetrates and then forms that thick protec tive layer to keep moisture out. We shall see.

Well what I tried is I lubed the lock latch on the outside. I then took off the interior door panel so I could get access to the rods and the inside of the latch mechanism. I then sprayed it all with the Lithium grease and worked it numerous times to get it spread around.

Hope it works...we shall see.

The above solution appears to have worked. Numerous days of conditions that should have caused it have not done so. Yeah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back