Yokohama S.drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...e1=yes&place=16

Was thinking about getting these for the back of the Lincoln (yes, in the size listed in the link above; 275/40/17). Current Yoko's are pretty cooked. I've had fantastic luck with them, and so I'd like to continue with this brand. Things are like CRAZY GLUE!

Anybody have any experience with this tire?

Here are what are on the car currently:
lho5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always had great experiences with Yokos; currently have AVID TRZs on the Cruiser and they are great.

No hands on knowledge of the tire, but my very good friend who owns a Automotive customs shop uses them all the time when he sells a tire and rim package. He said they are cheaper so the customer gets a lower price, and he says there a quality product. He never had a complaint against them.
I would trust his judgement.
He knows his wheels and tires. Alot of high end car owners like MB, BMW, Jaguar, ect. . . used to go to him because he was one of the only shops that had a Hunter Roadforce tire balancer in the area.

a few of my GTO buddies run them...they have nothing bad to say except that they do wear fast (a fairly common trait of a yoko tire).

I have taken a drive in my buddies and i noticed nothing out of the ordinary with them but they were on the newer side of things and we were not testing the limits of the tires.

Seeing that you are running a 275/40/17..might i recommend the Summitomo HTR ZIII? I currently run them on my GTO and have loved them the moment they replaced my toyo t1R's (only 6000 miles on the tires..they sucked that bad). Ride is slightly stiffer than that of the toyo's but they ride extremely soft. Sidewall is stiff but by adjusting airpressures a few psi up or down can make a good bit of change. Grip far exceeds that of the toyos and is more akin to a Bridgstone Potenza RE050A Pole Position or that approaching a Michelin pilot sport. I dont drive the vehicle in the rain but im confident that wet weather traction should be just fine.

They have been quieter than the toyo's while providing better grip, communication and equal ride quality...all for about $100 bucks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: casper
a few of my GTO buddies run them...they have nothing bad to say except that they do wear fast (a fairly common trait of a yoko tire).

I have taken a drive in my buddies and i noticed nothing out of the ordinary with them but they were on the newer side of things and we were not testing the limits of the tires.

Seeing that you are running a 275/40/17..might i recommend the Summitomo HTR ZIII? I currently run them on my GTO and have loved them the moment they replaced my toyo t1R's (only 6000 miles on the tires..they sucked that bad). Ride is slightly stiffer than that of the toyo's but they ride extremely soft. Sidewall is stiff but by adjusting airpressures a few psi up or down can make a good bit of change. Grip far exceeds that of the toyos and is more akin to a Bridgstone Potenza RE050A Pole Position or that approaching a Michelin pilot sport. I dont drive the vehicle in the rain but im confident that wet weather traction should be just fine.

They have been quieter than the toyo's while providing better grip, communication and equal ride quality...all for about $100 bucks.

Casper:
What are the differences between the:

1. HTR Z III
2. HTR Z

These two have some pretty markedly different tread patterns?

I've had great luck with the Yoko's, so I'm very hesitant to switch.....

There are huge differences between the two...most notably is the tread pattern. The HTR ZII was designed when directional patterns were all the rage, before we found out that they cause lots of resonance and hence tire noise. The other difference is in the compound of the rubber itself. Its a higher quality product in the HTR ZIII with a silica enhanced compound to heighten wet weather performance while the asymmetric pattern of the ZIII allows for it to be rotated across a vehicle unlike that of a unidirectional tire.

There are alot of GTO guys as well a number of Vette guys that started running the HTR ZII back in the day because it offered a great balance of performance and cost. The HTR ZIII is even better because its optimized more for wet/dry traction as well as has lower wear and will be that much quieter versus that of the HTR ZII's with wear.

All in all...those that have run them, love them because they offer so much for so little. Granted they arent going to quite match up with a PS2 but they will compete with tires that cost 50-60bucks more.

Im a tire snob and have always been in the same situation as you...happy with one tire and not really willing to go with some of the lower named brands. This is one of those times where really, not having the brand name is a great thing.

Thank you very much for your input. I'll see what kind of local pricing I can get on them then.

They are, as, you mentioned, quite inexpensive.

Another thumb's up on the HTR Z3
thumbsup2.gif

I've been running them on my SRT-4 since last March (about 8K miles) and absolutely love them. The size I'm running is an XL load rated tire so I imagine that would make the sidewall a bit stiffer but the tires ride remarkably well for a max performance tire. Same goes for noise, very quiet for a max performance tire. I don't autocross or anything but I am very pleased with the handling. I have had three other tire brands on this car and these are the best so far. They are good on wet roads and hydroplane resistance is good as well, although I would expect that on full tread depth. I don't really have a lot of miles on them, but no visible thread wear yet.

Tire Rack seems to think highly of them per the comparison test on their site.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: moribundman
You need new wheels then.
LOL.gif

Well that's not happening
grin2.gif

Got a smokin' deal on the 17x9 Cobra R's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back