Running GC for 1st time in Audi 2.0T...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been running M1 0w-40. Autozone was out of both M1 and Castrol 5-40...So I thought I would try the mystical GC 0-30. I have been searching my brains out on this forum but the search function leaves something to be desired. Anyone think the fuel pump cam lobe wear problem may be more prone to failure with GC? I plan to do a UOA on the GC in next OCI.

Just did an oil change in my 07 2.0T and noticed its much quieter at start up with the gold GC. I like the GC better than the Mobil 1 and it still meets the VW specs.

I've been running GC for about 3 years now in my BMW 740iL and I think it's a terrific oil. I'm also using it in my Ford Explorer. GC meets the tough spec for BMW Long-Life oils (it meets BMW LL-01 while the Syntec 5w40 meets the older LL-98).

I'm a great believer in GC, although I'm not familiar with any unique VW/Audi specs. One thing I did note on the Castrol website is that the Syntec 5w40 was "developed specifically for VW applications". Based on the data sheet that 5w40 is a little thicker at 100 deg C than GC (0w30).

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I've run both GC and M1 0w40 in my '00 GTI 1.8T. I can't tell one bit of difference between the two.

I also ran both in my 1.8T. The only difference was that the UOA was slightly better on the GC.

Cool! I have been reading about it for years on BITOG. I find it amazing how difficult it is to let go of the dogma (5w-40, VW502.0, 505.0 etc) and embrace something else. It does meet the 502/505 specs after all and so isn't that great a departure. I really should run a UOA though.

Originally Posted By: fcbuff
Cool! I have been reading about it for years on BITOG. I find it amazing how difficult it is to let go of the dogma (5w-40, VW502.0, 505.0 etc) and embrace something else. It does meet the 502/505 specs after all and so isn't that great a departure. I really should run a UOA though.

GC should do great in your car. Please do post a UOA when you get it as we need more data points on this engine. I think we will see a few Biosyn UOAs on this engine in the near future as more people are trying that.

I'm currently trying redline 5W40, primarily due to its HTHS of 4.6 and its high P and Zinc levels. Hopefully these factors should help with fuel dilution, intake valve deposits from the pcv system (POE cleaning ability), and reduced wear on the fuel pump cam follower. I'll post the UOA when I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back