Dakar 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
With Ken Block entering select WRC events this year racing for Ford, I would love to see more coverage.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/15/report-ken-block-heading-to-wrc-with-new-monster-ford-team/

Maybe Discovery HD Theater will carry WRC events in a more timely manner?

WOW, that is TOO COOL!!
As far as I know he will be the first U.S. citizen to compete in the WRC since Mr. Buffum dabbled in a select few events in the '70s-'80s.
Even cooler yet is that he's competing for a domestic parent company!!
34.gif

Yes, maybe if we're lucky, this will bring more WRC coverage.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
With Ken Block entering select WRC events this year racing for Ford, I would love to see more coverage.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/15/report-ken-block-heading-to-wrc-with-new-monster-ford-team/

Maybe Discovery HD Theater will carry WRC events in a more timely manner?

WOW, that is TOO COOL!!
As far as I know he will be the first U.S. citizen to compete in the WRC since Mr. Buffum dabbled in a select few events in the '70s-'80s.
Even cooler yet is that he's competing for a domestic parent company!!
34.gif

Yes, maybe if we're lucky, this will bring more WRC coverage.

Travis Pastrana did some P-WRC events a couple of years ago.

Back to Dakar, I've never seen so many Elf/Total banners. My DVR is getting full, I have to go watch some more. I wish the Subaru Forester would have made it past the first couple of days. It had mechanical problems.

Some great Dakar pics here. I didn't hear that someone got killed (pic 10).
frown.gif

19.gif

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
[/quote]
Travis Pastrana did some P-WRC events a couple of years ago.

Yes, sorry, I forgot about Travis' international adventures.
What do you mean by P-WRC?? (Privateer, Group N production class??)

Sorry. Didn't want to check this thread again in case there were any results spoilers posted.
55.gif

Yes, P-WRC cars are Group N.

Still trying to figure out why Robby Gordon drove a 2WD Hummer.

-Dennis

Last edited:
bluesubie, I suspect there was some trade off in minimum weight or engine size/power. My guess is that Robbie figured he would be faster on the wide-open stages and that would make up for going slower through the rough, rocky stages and occasionally getting stuck in the deep, soft sand. That strategy did not work out ... and was made even worse by his tire infaltion system difficulties on one stage.

I suspect he will try again next year with a turbo-diesel 4WD ... but that's a guess. I went to his site but after a quick look I did not see anything except highlight videos of the last Dakar stages.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Sorry. Didn't want to check this thread again in case there were any results spoilers posted.
55.gif

Yes, P-WRC cars are Group N.

Thanks. Yes, I should have known this, as I did know that the 'feeder' series was called JWRC.
I still have the 'Group/letter' designations stuck in my head from hearing them for so long (been following the sport for the last ~35 years or so!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back