I'm in a pickle

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car's aluminum wheels are getting a bit ratty after nearly 13 years. I would like to have them media blasted and freshly painted. The problem is that I don't have a second set of wheels, because I simply don't have the necessary space. Any ideas?

I also need new tires, and I have decided to get the Yokohama S-Line model. If I buy a set with new AT Italia wheels, I am looking at one grand. I'm not sure I want to just throw the old wheels out, though.

If there's a grassy area out the front, you could leave it up on cinderblocks for a week while you get the rims done and a new set of tyres.

(or you could do it in the garage, but where's the visual appeal in that ?)

There's no grass out front, just a sidwalk and a street. Street cleaning once a week makes parking more than 6 days in a row impossible. Besides, I can't legally leave an undrivable car outside (it will be removed by the city) or in the garage (insurance reasons).
frown.gif

So can we see a pic of the current setup and the Italia wheels? It ain't my money to spend but new wheels sure do make an older ride look young again! I browse tirerack all the time dreaming of wheel combos for my Focus and I ain't even got 15000 on the stock combo! I usually look at winter tire combos though. A bit easier to justify, although you don't really have a need for them in your neck of the woods.

I like Shannow's idea.

Or:

1) You could get 4 from a junk yard...

2) Rent a car

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Full sized spare ?

One wheel at a time ?

I got a full size spare. I'm afraid that's how it's gonna be (if I stick with the old wheels). Call me Sisyphus!
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
So can we see a pic of the current setup and the Italia wheels?

You can see my original wheels here.

The AT Italia are RS4 replica wheels. The tirerack has them for $99 a pice right now. That's $70 off the regular price. They fit right out of the box without hubcentric rings or different wheel bolts. They look like this:

ati_s6_s_ci3_l.jpg

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

1) You could get 4 from a junk yard...

Augh...

Quote:
2) Rent a car

I have another car. That doesn't solve the issue of having one car sitting around on cinderblocks. I should have bought a truck. I could have put the Audi on it for a week!
grin2.gif

So it's either five trips to and fro to have the wheels refurbished one by one over a month or so, or it's five new wheels with new tires conveniently mounted. As I said, I was in a pickle!

Hmph.

I can pickles. Well, actually I put them in jars, but it is called canning.
43.gif

Kidding aside...

If you have another car, can't the Audi sit at the place that will be reburbishing the rims? oilboy123 said it also...

Buy the new tires and rims and have them mounted on the Audi. Then keep or sell the old ones.

What ever process you have to use, keep the original wheels. They were made for that car, they look good on that car. Plus in the long run "which they have already proved" they are probably a better wheel.

I'm just old fashioned and like Audi's left original as possible.

That's a very nice Audi you have there Mori.

Off site storage building (U-Store-It) where car can be left locked by you? Probably have to pay a month, but that's usually only about $50.

Bob

Many body shops have wheels that they mount on a car so it can be moved around the shop. Check with the places where you plan to take it and see if they have that capability.

No place in or near the city will want a car to take up any of their precious space for a week. You can't keep a car outside because it will be picked clean in no time. Don't know about self-storage, but I doubt it's inexpensive.

Following paul246's suggestion may be doable, but I expect that only a really big shop will do this, meaning I'll end up paying accordingly.

About keeping the OEM wheels: It is common practice for shops to exchange the OEM or other wheels for a refurbished ones for about $120 a piece, but I would not be able to tell if I really get OEM wheels or if they sell me replica wheels. The replicas are practically indistinguishable from the OEM wheels, but they are usually of lousy quality.

As for the AT Italia wheels, I've had that brand before and they were good. Made in Italy.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
No place in or near the city will want a car to take up any of their precious space for a week. You can't keep a car outside because it will be picked clean in no time. Don't know about self-storage, but I doubt it's inexpensive.

You just gave me all the reasons I would not live in King Arnold's Kingdom.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back