Opinions on larger rotors and modulation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is pretty pointless since I have already installed the larger rotors with BB7s. I just wanted other's opinions because my experience seems to be different than most people on the bike forums.

I went from the stock Tektro 160mm f/r to BB7 203f (solid) and 185r (clean sweep). Also went to the speed dial levers but only after I had some time on the new brakes with stock levers for comparison purposes.

Besides the obvious benefits of larger brakes, I now have much better modulation than stock. I was told I would have poor modulation with big brakes but as I thought this turned out to be false. With the addition of the speed dials, modulation is even better.

Anyone else who has gone with larger rotors experienced better modulation? Or would you blame the better calipers?

The only difference between the BB5 and BB7 is the slightly more convenient pad adjustment of the BB7 (no tool required), I believe.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
The only difference between the BB5 and BB7 is the slightly more convenient pad adjustment of the BB7 (no tool required), I believe.

And a larger pad that's shared with the Juicy's.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
And a larger pad that's shared with the Juicy's.

No more talk about your juicy pads, please.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
I can easily adjust mine with no tools.

That's because you are resourceful.
wink.gif

I have 203 front and 185 rear discs on my bike. They're Juicy Ultimate 7's. I can stop my 260 pound _ss with two fingers.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I have 203 front and 185 rear discs on my bike. They're Juicy Ultimate 7's. I can stop my 260 pound _ss with two fingers.

Same here 220lbs and 1 finger stops or two if I want to endo.

I think a lot of the problem with the mechanical disks are people not knowing how to set them up correctly. I've found that I have full stopping power in less than 10 stops where some people say it takes days to hit full power.

Have you ever had the brakes even close to fading? Do you have any opinions on the Avid soid disk vs the cleans sweep? I went solid on the front because I figured the extra mass may help ever so slightly for fade resistance.

You guys'll get a laugh out of this. On a mountain bike site that I frequent, some dude claimed that his rotors got so hot during a ride, he burned his hand 30 minutes after the ride while cleaning the bike. Yeah... Like there's enough material in a bicycle brake rotor to hold any significant heat for more than about thirty seconds.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
You guys'll get a laugh out of this. On a mountain bike site that I frequent, some dude claimed that his rotors got so hot during a ride, he burned his hand 30 minutes after the ride while cleaning the bike. Yeah... Like there's enough material in a bicycle brake rotor to hold any significant heat for more than about thirty seconds.

LOL. I saw that one on mtbr. I did like the one where the guy got branded by his disk after going down.

A few years ago I was lift riding in Fernie, BC on a rented bike and literally had the front pads smoking after a fast continuous run. They were avid mechanicals and I ended up buying a new set of pads for the second day. The new pads worked much better and got plenty hot but only smelled funny for the first few runs...

I do find it abit funny that one finger endo's are a sign of good mechanical discs. It's not hard to do with good v-brakes either... I've never gone lift riding with v-brakes but I do suspect they wouldn't be good... For my little 150-200' vertical hills here they seem to be just fine.

Back on topic, I saw in Avid's literature that the advantage of a larger rotor is not only better heat dissipation and leverage but also modulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back