Out with the old, in with the new!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If new brooms sweep better, does new oil lube better?
wink.gif

I had planned on changing the oil (8k miles on it) before the beginning of 2009, but it wasn't supposed to be. I went with LM 5W-40 this morning. Note the California sunrise on the wall in the background. Stay gold, Ponyboy!
48.gif
Here are some pictures. VIN and tags have been photoshopped for my protection and for your unimpeded viewing pleasure.

1996 Audi A4 quattro with 180k miles on a 2.8 l 12 valve V6 engine on Rhino ramps:
rhino.jpg

6 liters oil -- only 5.5 liters needed:
lm2b.jpg

Yes, the Mann oil filter really is that large:
oil.jpg

Oil performance:
lm.jpg

It's the first time I've put German oil in this engine (made in Győr, Hungary), which until now has digested the following:

Pre-BITOG:

- Castrol Syntec 5W-50
- Mobil M1 0W-40

Post 2003:

- Mobil M1 5W-40
- Chevron Delo 400 15W-40
- Red Line 5W-30
- Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40
- Valvoline MaxLife 10W-40

Where's the German theme, besides German oil in a German car with a Euro-D badge, driven by a German?
48.gif

LM is supposed to be good oil.

What previous oils worked best for you Mori?

Syntec 5W-50 was my favorite over 7.500 k mile oil change intervals, but it's not the same oil now that it was in the late '90s.

MaxLife was all right, especially considering its price. Good value!

M1 0W-40 stands out as the "rattler" among all these oils. My farking ears still ring.

The MaxLife sauce that came out this time was really filthy looking. Could have been due to the half quart MMO I added a few days before changing the oil. MMO's red dye made the old oil resemble a reddish cocoa brew.

Are you in a parking deck area or is that your garage? Very clean and empty. Your Audi looks marvelous to have 180K miles.

That's a garage under the house. It's open on one side only. Silver cars look always clean. I clean the finish really well only once a year. I have no intent on letting the A4 go. It runs as good as new and it is uncharacteristically reliable and ultra durable. However, undoing the damage the dealer and independent mechanics did took me a few years.

Thanks, but I think I noticed a 1/16" speck of rust on the silencer. The end is near.
frown.gif
48.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I'm waiting for Steve S to show up and ruin my day.
LOL.gif

Your Audi will meet it's maker one day. Well, if you'd have used Maxlife again, your Audi might become eternal. Maxlife synthetic might turn it into a god!

Do you have an aftermarket intake on it? Kinda looks like it in the 2nd pic.

Last edited:
The Audi will live forever. I tell you it's certainly not going back to its maker in Ingolstadt.

Are you ogling my post-MAF/pre-intake silencer silicone intake snorkel? It is indeed a custom piece. The intake has further a descreened and enlarged housing with a modified MAF sensor for increased flow and a bored throttle body. All engine mods must remain low-key here in CA.

Most 2.8 12v engines do not like 0W-X oil. I did top off once with GC 0W-30 when I had M1 0W-40 in the sump.

Wow 9.99/liter of Lubro Moly and must have been hard to find as well. I always wondered what the small letter "e" right after the liters designated. According to the bottle it looks like it will provide outstanding/excellent resistance to ageing as well as deposit protection. Did you block the rear wheels for safety?

Are those driving gloves in the last picture? I like the red lcd for the odometer/trip meter, much easier to read day and night. Its setup is just like the VW (odometer top and trip on bottom). Also noticed the analog clock as well.

Long live the 2.8L 12 valve V6.

Looks like a perfect start, and finish, to a sunny California day! Are those Pirelli Nero tires (or are they Michelins?) Can one say that the Lubro Moly oils are similar to Pentosin oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back