Best fluids for EVO X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm coming up soon on my 15K maintenance on my 08 EVO X and I'll be needing to change out the oil in my tranny, transfer case, and engine. I'm pretty dead set on sticking with Mobil 1 5W30 full synthetic for the engine oil, but I'd like some advice on what's best for the tranny and transfer case. I've noticed a lot of EVO guys run 10W30 instead of 5W30. What's the benefit in doing this?

I heard AMSOIL is really good stuff to use in the tranny and transfer case. The stock fluid for the tranny is Mitsu NEW MULTIGEAR OIL 75W80 GL-3 and the transfer case is Mitsu LSD gear oil. AMSOIL has 75W90 tranny oil. Can this be used in my car without issue? I was also wondering about BG synchroshift II for the tranny. Any info and/or advice would be really helpful.

Last edited:
Amsoil ATF will serve your transmission and differentials well. You may look into other engine oil other than M1 as well. You have very many options.

you could use Pennzoil Synchromesh in the tranny, or some other synchromesh brand, or MTL, or just go the dealership, or even one person on the net uses Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 extended in their tranny. i use half and half synchromesh and mobil 5w30 in my Mitsubishi tranny - it runs real nice, even though people here warned me not to do it.

I've heard bad things about synchromesh. Specifically on an evo forum I belong to (evowned.com). A guy on that forum that is very knowledgable about evo's uses all AMSOIL products. This is what he uses:
# Engine
* Oil - AMSOIL ATM 10W-30
* Filter - WIX 57092

# Transmission
* Oil - AMSOIL MTG 75W-90 API GL-4

# Transfer Case
* Oil - AMSOIL SVG 75W-90

# Rear Differential
* Oil - AMSOIL SVG 75W-90

This combo works for him and he says he has no issues at all. Also, why use 10W30 vice 5W30? I thought about just using OEM fluids but if something else is better out there, I'd want to go with that.

Last edited:
What he uses looks like it would be fine, I would look at MTF for the transmission as well, which is the Amsoil reccomendation.

10W-30 is more shear stable so it holds viscosity better and has a higher HT/HS viscosity generally, as to protect better at higher engine temperatures. Above 0F it's generally acceptable, so in South Carolina you could use it year round without concern.

Last edited:
Amsoil.com .. look up your car and you will have Amsoil recommendation for what to use :)

And then Contact Garry Allan or Pablo from this forum .. to Place your order ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ndx
Amsoil.com .. look up your car and you will have Amsoil recommendation for what to use :)

And then Contact Garry Allan or Pablo from this forum .. to Place your order ...

^^ 2nd
11.gif

Thanks for the info guys. I've heard nothing but good things about AMSOIL and I like how they prove it with comparison tests to other oils on the market. I'm going to take back the DiaQueen OEM [censored] I got back to the dealership and place my order soon.

Amsoils new trans fluid offerings are just about the only ones that I have not personally tried.
But I will use them next time, for sure. They are that good on paper, and by personal testimony.

Redline in MTL or MT90 are also very good for manual transmissions.

It all depends on how you drive you Evo. If it's just another car to you, I'd stick with the basics. If you drive it like it's meant to be driven, I'd definately use a 10W-30 syn or even a 5/10W-40. For the differentials, there isn't a better gear oil out there than Amsoil's Severe Gear.

Also, I don't think I would use anything but Mitsu OEM fluids in the transmission. In the old manual transmissions, GM or Pennzoil synchromesh gave the best shift feeling, but I don't know about the new DSG gearboxes.

Last edited:
TAKE ADVISE FROM THE GUY BEEN OWN 4 OF THESE CAR.

- For your engine 10w30 mobil 1 and mitsubishi OIL FILTER ONLY !!!

- For your tranny, mix 1quart of redline heavy weight shock proof gear oil and the rest is pennzoils syncromesh

- For your rear diff , redline heavy weight shock proof gear oil

been run these combo for year, race every week, drive hard every day, never had problem. ask me how I know, 2 word , john shepherd !! that what he recomment me !!. now I own a v8 NEVER LOOK BACK TO IMPORT !!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back