Programming remote for 2001 Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I bought my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Grand Laredo, the owner gave me keys and a working remote and a similar looking one from a Dodge Ram that he said could be programmed to work on my Jeep (I know famous last words). I have searched on the web, but did not find any details on programming a remote for a 2001.

Any ideas, before I go to a dealer.

Spoke to my dad, a retiree from Chrysler and a Mechanic and he says it will be in your Owners Manual somewhere. You have to possibly ground something to put it into learning mode.

Try this:

1) Unlock and open the driver's door and turn the car key to the 'on' position (do not start the car).

2)Lock all the doors using the button on the main door.

3)After the doors are locked, aim the transmitter to the small bulb situated on the ceiling of the car. Press the 'lock' switch and keep it pressed till the doors get unlocked. Your remote should be programmed by now.

Here's more instructions we found:

PROGRAM INSTRUCTIONS JEEP 2 BUTTON REMOTES

Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed into the receiver at any given time.

All transmitters to be used on a vehicle must be programmed during this procedure.

(1) Open the driver’s door and leave it open during the programming process.

(2) Move the mechanical door lock lever on the driver’s door to the LOCK position.

(3) Insert the ignition key and turn it to the RUN position. (Do not start the vehicle.)

(4) After turning the ignition key to the Run position aim the transmitter at the receiver and press the LOCK (right) button for 5 seconds. Once the receiver accepts the programming the door will unlock.

Move to Step 5 If you have more than one transmitter you are going to use with this vehicle. Move to Step 6 If only one Jeep remote is used.

(5) If additional transmitters are to be used on the vehicle each must be programmed during the programming sequence. (Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed to a vehicle) To program additional transmitters: Return the mechanical door lock lever on the driver’s door to the LOCK position and aim the next transmitter at the receiver and press the LOCK (right) button for 5 seconds. Again when the receiver accepts the programming the door will unlock. Repeat step 5 until all transmitters have been programmed.

(6) When all transmitters have been programmed to the receiver, the ignition must be turned off and back on within 20 seconds after programming the last transmitter. When this is done, only the transmitters that were programmed to the vehicle during this procedure will operate the locks.

With the panic button, denotes that you have a security system. These can only be programmed at the Dealer with the scan-tool. I know this for a fact because my moms old Eagle Vision of the same year was like this...
frown.gif
Sorry Bud!

I found this on the web, but does not seem to work for me. I never get the chime after releasing the UNLOCK+PANIC buttons saying its in programming mode.

Program Method A (Customer Program Method)

1. Press (LOCK) button 5 times at 2 second Intervals to resynchronize transmitter, Attempt to function transmitter, If working as designed discontinue programming.

2. Turn ignition to run position, (Allow Ignition chimes to stop).

3. Using any original (working )transmitter, press the [UNLOCK] button for 4 to 10 seconds.

4. Within the specified 4 to l0 seconds, continue pressing the [UNLOCK] button and press the [PANIC] button for 1 second and release both buttons (AN/DN release either button first). A chime will sound to indicate that the transmitter programming mode has been entered (allow 3 seconds for chime to sound).

5. Press [LOCK] and [UNLOCK] buttons simultaneously for 1 second and release (a short chime will sound for AN/DN).

6. Press and release any button an the same transmitter and a chime will sound after successfully programming the transmitter (locks will cycle for AN/DN).

NOTE.- (FOR DR ONLY) A CHIME WILL NOT SOUND ON STEP #6 FOR THE FIRST TRANSMITTER PROGRAMMED, BUT WILL SOUND UPON PROGRAMMING THE SECOND TRANSMITTER.

7. Repeat steps 5 through 6 to program additional transmitters.

8. Turn ignition to OF:F position. Transmitter programming mode will discontinue after 60 seconds (30 seconds for AN/DN and RS). (All transmitter programming must be completed within time specified).

I went to dealer who said while the mentioned procedure should work, most people cannot get it to work. They hooked their scanner (for free) and programmed the remote.

I should also point out that while the remote for a Dodge Ram was tested as working (they said it would work for a Dodge, but not for a Jeep), it would not work for my Jeep and I had to purchase a new one.

EBAY for the Dodge Ram remote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back