Marvel Mystery Oil for bicycle chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oils like that really aren't suited for bike chains. Dirt will stick to it. I like a waxy chain lube that sheds during use. Dirt and sand can't stick then.

+1. Use White Lightning or a similar wax-based lube. Oil to be used only if riding in the rain or through mud/water.

amh_can_300pxh.jpg

Works great on chains. Amsoil HDMP

Last edited:
OK, tried it. Not good.

I cleaned the chain twice with solvent, a hose and compressed air, as is my norm. I applied MMO and it went everywhere. It dripped right off the chain and on to the chainring, making an oily mess. No big deal, as it wipes right off. However after wiping my very clean chrome plated high dollar shimano chain, it came off BLACK. I guess it cleans chains better than solvent.

So I clean it twice again. This time it's spotless. I apply the mess again and it runs all over the place again.

I go for a 3 hour ride this morning. Within 5 miles, the chain is pitch black and an oily/gooey mess. However, it remains smooth for the entire ride.

My sprockets are full of black goo and the chain looks like an old 1969 huffy. Black and greasy. Not OK on a high dollar Ti bike.

So, I give it thumbs down. I'll go back to my mix of GT-95 and Bel Ray ultra clean (zinc).

Chris

I don't think MMO has any AW or EP in it. It's mostly just Naphthenic oil and solvent.

I've put some FP-10 gun oil on my son's bike and so far so good (with very limited use). MPC sells the FP-10 under a different name for bike chains. A single drop at each link stays in place and leaves a nice film at the sprockets.

It's a CLP so it has good cleaning ability as well.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I don't think MMO has any AW or EP in it. It's mostly just Naphthenic oil and solvent.

boron 32 and phosphorus 902 and whatever else doesn't show in a VOA

Last edited:
32 ppm of Boron, 2 ppm of silicon, 1 ppm calcium, 902 ppm phosphorus, and 2 ppm zinc.

The SUS viscosity at 210F was 34.4. The flashpoint was 190F.

No moisture or insolubles found. No wear metals

Lab didn't know what it was, guessed it to be a mil spec hydraulic fluid used in high altitude aircraft.

I've been trying the MPHD around the shop and on the pivots on my new bike. I like it a lot so far.

Also been using FP10 gun oil on the chain and am happy with it, for the short time I've had the bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back