Joined the SSAA today....

Status
Not open for further replies.
AKA sporting shooters association of Australia.

In the new year I might start looking into taking up shooting (target at first, maybe then some varmint hunting on FIL property).

I am looking into a Remington 700 .223 rifle... http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_CDL.asp

also thinking about .22LR rimfires.

Any suggestions? I like the economy of .22LR rimfires but is there enough power in them?

In any case going to have a browse at the rifle shop (the licensing system takes a while down here) when I go down to FIL next week

Last edited:
The best thing about a 22LR rimfire is the cost of the ammo. It will depend on what type of "varmit" you are shooting as to whether it is powerful enough. They are perfect for squirrels, vultures, even opposum. If it doesn't kill them on the first shot it will immobilize them so that shots 2 and 3 get em. Plus mine has a 16 round capacity semi auto so that you always have enough rounds to finish the job. The accuracy is pretty good and since the ammo is so cheap and there is zero kick, you can throw up paper targets and shoot all day until you are very confident in your shot. I love mine.

varmints could be rabbits, feral dogs, cats etc. occasional deer (small) - have only seen a pair of deer once on the track leading to his property and they aren't really too much of a problem. there are wallabies but they may be protected and don't cause much damage.

had a pair of wild dogs maul the face of an old cow last july. he got them in the end with some dog bait. he kept the old cow alive but the bridge of her nose is gone (you can see into her nasal passages all the way up the front).

crinkles, congrats on joining the SSAA, I'm a member of both them, and our NRA (our range is an NRA range).

What sort of target shooting are you thinking of getting into, and what sort of varminting ?

If it's a rimfire/cerntrefire field class, you'll be shooting out to around 100 yards with the rimfire, and 300 yards with the centrefire.

For the field class sports, .22LR is the round of choice (standard velocity, as they aren't so wind affected). CZ452 (in whatever variant you like) is very popular and economical, and accurate. The Sakos are second in popularity but pretty pricey. I've got a Krico, which I love, but the 1967 Brno (now CZ) seriously outshoots it.

.223 is good for the centrefire field classes out to 300m. (I shoot out to 600yards rarely, and it's good out to there. a club member takes his .223 out to 900 yards, and the holes in the targets aren't round usually.

I use a CZ527 in .223. It's cheaper than the Remington, and shoots under an inch with Federal American Eagles, and under 3/4" with my 60 grain handloads. A mate has a Zastava (Remington is now selling them AS Remingtons http://www.chuckhawks.com/remington_798_799_rifles.htm ).

Have shot some tiny 5 shot clover leaf groups with a 700 varminter that another member has.

If I were buying for centrefire field class again, I'd go CZ527 in .204 Ruger.

Welcome to the sport.

well I am totally new to it all! do you have a link to the NRA...

would be primarily target shooting at the beginning as I am so new to it. occasional rabbits on the farm (catching the feral dogs may be difficult) if my FIL ever needs it (he's never asked)

we have a couple of ranges up here but I have to look into all that.

major hurdle would be to have safe installed in a rental, otherwise this whole thing may have to wait 6 months - 2 years (hope not).

maybe i should start out on a rimfire .22LR?

crinkles, a .22 will teach you more than a centrefire, as you can afford to shoot it lots and lots ($35 for 500 rounds), and the time that the projectile is in the barrel will teach more muzzle and trigger control.

Also, you are way more likely to be able to spend an afternoon on a property shooting cans than if you use a centrefire.

If you are shooting scoped, have an experienced club member sight it in and show you how to do it. Watch them shoot some scores and groups, and then trust the rifle. Hate seeing newbies chasing dots around the target because they don't trust the set-up.

http://www.nraa.com.au/

They have a huge prize meet at Coffs every year which is very well attended, even from down here.

thanks Shannow. Are there any legal issues with just going out on say my FIL's property and shooting milk jugs etc.

Depends on his neighbours largely, and on the friendliness or otherwise of the Police if they turn up. Some will interpret that a property is not a range, some will be happy that appropriately licenced people are shooting clays on a poroperty.

It's a line call at present that the legal system hasn't caught up with.

Make sure that your licence is endorsed Cat A and B (rimfire, centrefire and shotgun) right from the start, as it saves the hassle of trying to add. (you don't want to even mention pistols and semi autos at this stage, as you don't want back to base alarms and stuff).

Ensure that you are also endorsed "recreational hunting and vermin", as well as "target"...legally, you can't shoot target if your licence is for vermin.

As to safes, rules are 150Kg, and it can be free standing. You can buy or have a mate make one. Less than 150Kg, and it needs to be affixed through either 4 off 1/2" coach screws into timber, or dynabolts into concrete. In the Garage is OK.

Mine is a "one tonner" toolbox with extra hasp (to give it three locks). Ammo and bolts are stored in ex military ammo containers, with padlocking arrangements, within the tonner toolbox (the lock series are different, making this legal). Whole lot is bolted to the floor of the back room.

Another guy in the club has his same set-up mounted vertically in the garage.

Both have been inspected by the Police, and are legal.

I've heard of one guy (and bet that it would be legal) who added 150Kg of steel sheet to the inside bottom of his tonner toolbox to get it to the minimum weight that it didn't need bolting.

Respect all you guys who are willing to jump thru the hoops, dot the I's, etc. to enjoy the great recreational outlet of shooting that I and so many here just take for granted! HOO-Rah.

I'd say Shannow's post is spot on. Print it off and use it as a guide. Personally, I'd still pick the .223 over that newfangled Ruger just because of component availability (military surplus) here.

Them CZ's are top drawer. I'd pick them over Rem. also. Since you're gonna buy them BOTH eventially, get the .22 first and shoot the s#it outa things!

Best,

Bob

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
Personally, I'd still pick the .223 over that newfangled Ruger just because of component availability (military surplus) here.

Also part of the reason that I purchased the CZ, is it's chambered in the NATO chambering rather than the SAAMI...will take the current round that our military uses (should that become important)...even at 1 in 12 twist, the 62 grainers don't go sideways until 300 yards.

so does that CZ .223 take the 5.56mmx45mm NATO ??

am i right in saying the NATO chambering allows for higher pressure than the SAAMI?

Last edited:
Quote:
am i right in saying the NATO chambering allows for higher pressure than the SAAMI?

Yes. The 5.56 NATO is a higher pressure round than is the .223 Remington that it is based on.
Interestingly, the 7.62 NATO spec is lower pressured compared to the .308 Winchester it is based on.

There are, technically, dimensional differences between all of these but I have fired each in the other without problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back