Musicians, let's see your instruments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted something a little better suited to playing the metal stuff I like to play (old Metallica mostly) so I picked up a used Ibanez SA160QM today! This thing is in mint condition too! (it's only missing the arm for the tremolo, which I never use anyhow since I hate having my guitar go out of tune)

Here's the new axe:

100_0168-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Patman
Here is a picture of me from 1986, playing my Japanese made Fender Squier Stratocaster (I'm the one on the left in the Iron Maiden t-shirt)

Those Iron Maiden T Shirts can literally be life savers.

Not much point posting pics of a "Hondo" strat copy, and a "Valencia TC-39"

Looks like you have one humbucker on there, so you should have a fatter sound. Would be fatter still if the neck pickup was also a humbucker.
Of course, these days, if have have the right stuff, you can make any guitar sound like anything you want.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
Patman, how's the fretboard radius on that Ibanez? Similar to Strats, or closer to Gibson?

I believe that neck would have a 16" radius -- flatter than a Gibson!

What's a fret board radius ?

I understand that there's a need to keep the string clear of the next fret as you move up.

16" sounds like an awefully short radius for this.

Patman, how's the fretboard radius on that Ibanez? Similar to Strats, or closer to Gibson?

I've never played a Gibson, but this one feels fairly close to my Strat, but with a thinner neck and better action. It doesn't have that buzzy sound from the strings that Strats tend to give either. I find the Ibanez much easier to play!

Looks like you have one humbucker on there, so you should have a fatter sound. Would be fatter still if the neck pickup was also a humbucker.
Of course, these days, if have have the right stuff, you can make any guitar sound like anything you want.

I might change that humbucker to a DiMarzio super distortion pickup sometime as well, then it'll really give that heavy metal sound.

Fretboard radius is ...I'll explain clumsily. Looking at the fretboard from end to end, it will be a convex surface. If you match the arc of that surface to a circle, the radius of that circle is the fretboard radius. Small numbers mean a more curved radius, like the Strat, which I think is 9.5". Gibsons--acoustic and elctric, are all mostly 12". Old Telecasters were about 7.5". Martins tend to be about 15" I think, amybe 17". The more curved(smaller number) fretboards are easily to make barre chords on, but harder to bend strings without interfering with the fretwires, flatter ones are more difficult to barre, but have less potential for buzzing.

Another factor in playability is scale length-the length of the part of the strings from nut to saddle.
Most guitars either have 25.5 or 24.5 or something close. Longer scale will mean more string tension and stiffer action, with somewhat more volume, while shorter scale length will mean the strings have less tension and are easier to manipulate. Les Pauls and some Gibson acoustics have the shorter scale lengths, while Fender and Martin, among others, use the longer.

Finally, only the new kit is ready to play. Sold the old red Remo kit this week.

newkit1.jpg

The 10" tom is to the right of the 12" tom ala Kenny Aranoff. Makes playing quite interesting and keeps the 12" tom in an easy-to-reach location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back