THE BEST SNOW tires/car

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have Hakka 2 all around on two Taurii, Firestone Winterforce for my son's F150, and Cooper M+S for my Dodge 3/4 ton, all studded.

Originally Posted By: posty
I find that most people who have trouble on the road in winter are trying to get by with "3" season tires that are half worn out.I believe there is no such thing as an all season tire. You need a dedicated snow tire for safe winter driving.
Amen, brudda

Last winter the Mrs. was driving our fwd Volvo on a snowpack road. She said that a jacked-up 4wd truck was about to pass her, dropped back, and in her mirror saw the truck roll sideways off the lane and into the median. The Volvo had Hankook studded tires. I have Bridgestone DMZ2 WinterDuelers on my truck, they're great, and next winter I'll get new winter tires with more life, maybe Michelin. I drive on little ice, lots of dry, quite a bit of snow.

I like German Goodyear & Goodyear's Dunlop brand a lot among studless winter tires. Bridgestone are very good but not long lived. I haven't tried Nokian. The Korean studded tires are great for the price.

Quote:
At least they where courteous enough to drive in a lane. 'Round here they tend to straddle lanes, so even with your pre-planning for the winter you are trapped behind a row of inconsiderate monkeys who have no buisness being on the road.

Alex.

Passing All-Season tire clowns is my favorite winter hobby!!! You can literally see their white knuckles shining throught the glass and you can hear their heartbeat:)) I passed each and everyone there was tonight! That drive was...relaxing! I seriously looking forward to every snow storm now. Winter driving = FUN to me nowdays. I used to drive on a/s tires and was all stressed out as [censored], but no more all season goodness for me, Thank You very much! Now I'm just having fun.

Originally Posted By: bluemax1
Got the newer model Hakka R and I have to say, Nokian makes incredible winter tires. With both the Hakka RSi and Hakka R, I only really realize how bad conditions are when I step out of the car. had a couple of times when I'm driving normally and wondering why everyone else is going so darned slow and I finally stop and get out of the car only to realize that there's ice everywhere as I almost fall on my behind as my shoes/boots slip and slide.

According to Nokian, they only release a new iteration of their tires when the new model exceeds the previous model by 15% in testing. The first thing I noticed with the Hakka R is that they're definitely more stable on dry pavement (where the RSi was already better than Blizzak WS-50's). Tested them in some sow and icy conditions as well and they're great. Can't say I noticed a huge difference in snowy conditions from the RSi, and I haven't tried them in enough ice yet to see the difference, but I noticed that the Hakka sipes look a little different than the RSi's. They seem to have a void in the sipes to help suck water off the road. I first noticed the difference driving on wet asphalt (in the rain). They actually making a sucking sound that is different from any other tires I've driven on. Definitely curious to see how they do on completely iced up roads.

Thanks a lot for this write up! I really appreciate you taking the time. I also thinking about Nokians R as a replacement for Rsi's and was looking for useful information all over the net. Finally someone posted something worth reading instead usual blubber. Although looking at their tread design to me R looking like a good ice tire but not as good of a snow tire. Please keep me posted about your experience and finds. It's a new tire and there is not much info on it yet. Your experience with Rsi makes it much more helpful.

My biggest fear is that it's not gonna handle snow as good as Rsi and Hakka 2. Let me know your findings. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: scoobie
It was 20F going down 69 HWY, snow squalls, shoulder covered, center partly bare. Various 4WD trucks, 4WD Hondas, 4WD FourRunner, etc, all in a chain, hogging the partly bare passing zone in the passing lane, only the regular lane on the right clear of traffic, because it has 6" of snow on it. Traffic going 35 mph.
I pointed the Subaru Impreza, 2008 wagon, with electronic stability control and 4 speed automatic, with the 205/55R16 Dunlop M3, 7/32" tread on front, 5/32" tread on rear, on their third season, I pointed it to the regular snow covered lane, on the right, slightly openened the throttle, and without ANY complaint from the vehicle, NO slipping, it went to 45mph, and I easily passed 10 vehicles, passing on the right. With just three more vehicles ahead, we were back on the regular 2-lane part of the highway. I waited a bit, then throttled it to pass. The vehicle encountered various ridges of snow, piled up from the traffic, but DID NOT COMPLAIN or skid at all. It easily took off, just like it was on dry pavement, and passed everyone in a jiffy. Soon we were up to another 4WD truck. Despite falling snow, mainly snow covered road, passing it was a breeze. The car easily moved from partly bare, to snow covered, across ridges of snow; after another hour we were further south, and we were driving on slush, the car was cruising at 70mph with no hint of hydroplaning, on slush.

Never had a more beautiful car. I love my Subaru. Thank you Dunlop for the M3 tires. Even though they are worn down 50%, they make driving on snow feel like dry pavement. Once it had a slight sideways slip of the back end - it almost instantly went back to a perfect straight line. What was usually white knuckle driving, was a pleasant and relaxed experience, as it blew away all traffic IN REAL WORLD NORTHERN ONTARIO lake effect snow conditions. All other North American, European, and Asian were far behind. No wonder Detroit is going bankrupt. They need to hire a few Japanese engineers.

I wouldn't make a big habit of passing folks like that with half worn snow tires, the little tail wag was a warning...
Next time go into the unused lane when no one is around and try touching the brakes or give the steering wheel a little wiggle. You'll find that your tires aren't really cutting through all the snow, you are kind of planing on the snow but the snow tires still give some grip that all seasons don't. Not a lot of grip though and its easy to overwhelm that bit of grip as the tires at that speed don't really care which way they are pointed...
My tracker 4x4 has nearly new 205/75R15 snow tires with 16/32" tread depth and I can still feel in loose firm contact when plowing through deep snow at 40-50mph. The next set of snow will be as narrow as possible even sacrificing some ground clearance.
To be honest for that kind of driving my old 95 Neon is better, 155/80R13 snow tires cut through to something firm better at speed and it always understeers when hitting the gas, 4x4 and AWD still put power to the rear axle which can give you the little tail wag you had.
All I'm saying is be semi-careful, all the electonic AWD stability control mumbo jumbo can't help if your tires riding on top of 3 inches of loose snow or slush.
Ian

I know ALL about the baffoons who ride the center. When I come up behind you (in the bus), get out of the way and in the right lane, even if it means slowing down to twenty miles per hour!

Thanks for the pointer IndyLan -- Probably it "feels" good, but "feelings" can be deceiving; on an open stretch I did actually slam the brakes to see what would happen, and although it did not go off the road or anything, definitely it was not the same as dry pavement - heh heh, so you're right, that little "waggle" from the tail was my car speaking to me "be cautious". I did find though, that driving on hard packed snow really felt secure, and I really was impressed how the car handled running into berms, without going into a skid. I don't think 205 is especially wide for a tire, but I'll check tire rack to see if I can go the a higher series 195.

Yep, I think hardpack is where snowtires really shine, they work so much better than all seasons its amazing. I just find there are so many different road conditions in winter that you can't assume your tires are going to stick. Ice/snow tires are much better on black ice but that still means your stopping distance is like 5 times more than on a dry road.
I've played car curling once on an icy road and its not fun! I had a long time to review in my head what an idiot I was, and that was before we hit the snow bank...
Ian

It snowed about 5" today and the plows haven't been out, I was just out on four year old WS-50 Blizzaks with about 8/32" tread left on the roads around here.

The tires had a lot more grip than most, but there was just too much snow on the road to hook up. It was a good workout, the car would break loose no matter what you would do so it's just a matter of anticipation to control it. That nice transition from mild understeer to controlled oversteer and feeding it power while keeping the front tires pointed where you want the power to pull you is such a unique sensation.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
It was a good workout, the car would break loose no matter what you would do so it's just a matter of anticipation to control it. That nice transition from mild understeer to controlled oversteer and feeding it power while keeping the front tires pointed where you want the power to pull you is such a unique sensation.

My mom lives in a development at the top of a hill, and one morning I had to drive there in deep snow with my M3 on Blizzak LM-25s. That's basically how it was the whole way up that twisty road: 2nd gear and 3,000 RPM all the way, just steering and countersteering. Best 5 minutes of motoring in my life.

As a veteran of driving in snow, in mountain conditions, I can attest to the Subie. That was the best car I've driven for those conditions. The next best was actually an AWD Chevrolet Astro van, believe it or not.

I've also owned a number of V8 Mustangs, and they are on the other end of the spectrum. I've had some horrific slides in them.

I discuss (OK, argue) this with friends and co-workers all the time. It all comes down to the tires.

Right now I have a 2006 Civic with studded Hakka2s ... 185/65R15. This thing is as good as anything I've ever driven in the snow (although my '95 Civic DX with 175/70R13s is a sentimental favorite).

Pick your flavor and keep on truckin'

http://www.nokiantires.com/product-group?group=1.01

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: MGregoir
It was a good workout, the car would break loose no matter what you would do so it's just a matter of anticipation to control it. That nice transition from mild understeer to controlled oversteer and feeding it power while keeping the front tires pointed where you want the power to pull you is such a unique sensation.

My mom lives in a development at the top of a hill, and one morning I had to drive there in deep snow with my M3 on Blizzak LM-25s. That's basically how it was the whole way up that twisty road: 2nd gear and 3,000 RPM all the way, just steering and countersteering. Best 5 minutes of motoring in my life.

As opposed to people in my neighborhood. I live on a big steep hill. I set up lawn chairs and have a cup of coffee and watch people with bald all season tires try and make it up our street! They don't understand you're not going to get traction by bouncing off the rev limiter and sending out a 30 foot snow rooster tail!

Last edited:
"I live on a big steep hill. I set up lawn chairs and have a cup of coffee and watch people with bald all season tires try and make it up our street!"

When I was in college, we lived on a hill in Cohoes and on at least one night I remembered sitting by one of the windows in the front watching the cars try to make it up the hill. I think I sat there mesmerized for 3-4 hours. I vowed that after college I would get a small pick-up or a Subaru.

6" of snow? Pfffffft, try New Brunswick
wink.gif

Back when I had my Explorer, I was going to school in Moncton. That's a 45 minute drive in good weather.

I remember MANY times driving to school, in 4-high in my Explorer with Michelin LTX M/S's in 1ft of snow in the fast lane at 100Km/h.

I'd pass the odd line of traffic, but once you got by the "clusters", you were pretty much the only vehicle on the road.

It was actually easier riding in the passing lane because there were no ridges or pack-downs.

Drove the 18h trip with no sleep from Ontario to New Brunswick in a huge snowstorm in 2002. 4-high the whole trip. The hills in Fredericton, unplowed roads in Northern New Brunswick....etc.

Only time I ever got that thing stuck was beaching it on a snow-drift at Fort Beausejour. Had to dig it out with an ice scraper. That took a while.

Took my sister out drifting the other night. (It's snowing again right now). She owns my old Ex, and I was teaching her how to do controlled skids and get a better feel for the vehicle in traction-limited situations.

Snow tires are fantastic. But driver skill plays a huge roll. There are lots of vehicles that are good in snow. And there are plenty that aren't.

Well, a little update on the Hakka R's for those interested.

Ice traction is pretty good although still not comparable to top-level studded tires.

I've had the opportunity to test them in deeper snow now. I would certainly say their snow traction at least matches the older RSi. Although the snow channels (void areas) don't seem as wide as the older RSi, they clear very well (don't get packed with snow rendering them useless). They've also made the grooves more directional, i.e. they now have grooves that are more perpendicular to the rotation for acceleration/braking traction, along with grooves near the center that are more inline with rotation (for lateral grip).

Driving at sane speeds, the traction is so good with the VR4's AWD that I constantly wonder why other folks on the road are going so slow (especially in speed limits of 40mph or lower). Bear in mind that I began rallying in the late 80's, so the car sliding a little every once in a while is no cause for concern whatsoever (but this only happens at 70 mph highway speeds in slushy snow).

As far as the fun factor goes, drifting with these tires is a blast. Very controllable. Very good traction and directional control. With the stock VCU center diff, using the handbrake is not an option (the VCU will slow all 4 wheels), but braking drift and the Scandinavian flick and power oversteer are all easily used.

After getting ~8" of fresh snow on Thursday night, my neighbor woke me up on Friday to ask me if I wanted his father-in-law to plow my driveway too while he was there. I looked out at the snow and said, "Hmmm... looks like we did get a fair bit of snow, but I don't usually have a problem". His reply was, "Are you sure? It took me 5 tries to get my SUV in the garage this morning. I finally had to back way up to get a running start to get enough momentum to make it into the garage. I know your car has pretty low ground clearance doesn't it?".

I told him, "Yeah, but the car has AWD and very good snow tires. All winter last year, I'd just drive through the stuff and my car would plow it down to the 4-5" ground clearance. Well, while I'm up, and your father-in-law's still here, I might as well give it a shot". So I opened the garage door, started it up, and pulled out, went down the street, turned around and pulled back in the garage. My neighbor and his f-i-l looked at me and said, "Wow, we really didn't think your car would make it". The bumper was full of snow, but I didn't have any problems as usual.

Always thought one day, when I have nothing better to do (and the VR4 is relegated to the 'just a toy' status, or I get one specifically as a 'toy'), I'd like to mount a plow blade on the front just to see the looks on folks faces. I need to find the buddy of mine who has a cell phone pic of him pulling an SUV out of a snowy ditch with his VR4. Although the owner's manual states not to tow with these cars, I know owners who've done it (with no harm to the car). An SUV had slid off the road, so he stopped to help them. Tied the ropes to the rear tow hooks and hauled the SUV out of the ditch (and his friend riding with him took the cell phone pic).

Max

Once had a 89 Bronco FS with 6" lift 31x10.5 BFG A/T KO's and had tractor trailer blocking entrance to job sight.After much persuasion he allowed me to hook up my strap to him.Pulled him right on to the road with no slipping.There was 52" of snow where he was sitting..He was amazed and told me he had a full load of 45,000 pounds of seafood in the trailer.Bronco's long worn out but the tires are still providing footing for my 90'Montero.They are now nearing 70K miles and still have nearly half there tread.

We're at the end of what is evidently a top ten storm in the Portland area, with something like 16 inches total at the airport. We're at about 700 feet and have had more snow. On the other side of the river the city declared an emergency and had the National Guard out with their HumVees as emergency vehicles couldn't get everywhere. The main streets just have water or a bit of slush while side streets have drifts up to three feet or so deep. There was a bit of ice early on but none since, so deep snow has been the issue this sorm.

As long as we stayed out of deeper snow our daughter's Kia Rio did fine with snow tires, chains in sligjtly deeper snow, but the plows couldn't keep our street cleared all the time so we ended up snow bound at times. Her car and my son's truck were at the end of our fairly long and steep driveway, we've shoveled the driveway and unplowed area on the street twice, it doesn't look like it now, and haven't been able to get my truck out as not only is it still covered with ice and snow but we'd also have shovel the street for a parking place for the other cars.

I did try to get out on the 2nd day of the storm when we had powdery snow on ice, it was in the teens at night, but my truck with studded snow tires slide sideways on the hill that we live on. This is the 4th season on these tires so a new set is indicated. I could go up and down and even made it up our even steeper driveway, but not sideways on steep streets. As the snow got deeper traction improved, and the vehicles that seemed to get around most easily were the large 4x4 vehicles, typically pickups, with larger tires. On our street last night a full size GM SUV was stuck, having buried itself in a drift on the road, so matching ground clearance with road conditions was the key to not getting stuck. Last night I saw some drifts of 4 ft on driveways that people were digging out of.

Unlike previous storms where we had more ice and less snow where lighter vehicles with decent tires regardless of ground clearance typically did better, this storm the large 4x4 vehicles seemed to have fewer problems because of ground clearance. In the worst ice storms large 4x4 vehicles have also done better as the weight seemed to help. The steeper street are the real tests, but anyway, conditions changed all the time so it made for fun driving.

Located south of Buffalo, NY in what is called Ski Country, so you get the idea of the kind of snow we get. Grew up with re-capped snow tires. Retired now with Nokian "Hakkapeliitta 2" all the way around on my VW Jetta TDI. One of the best snow combinations you can find. Have ran Nokian many years, even thou they are hard to find around here. Think the best Nokian tire I have ever ran was the Hakka Q. I've tried all the rest of the premium snows and in my book the Nokian has them beat in any winter driving condition including ice. You know the ground clearance of the Jetta is low and even on back roads in deep snow I can get traction. Never had anything with the Nokians stuck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back