Whats a good brand non-detergent oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm rebuilding my engine and would like to know aside from assembly lube, what's a good non-detergent oil to use and what weight. I was thinking straight 30.

I'm going to assume you are serious.......Why are you even considering non-detergent oil?
dunno.gif
Non-detergent oil is NOT recommended for any modern engine.
nono.gif

I agree! Using non-detergent oils for break-in went out in the 50's.

Personally I have always used an inexpensive 5w-30 such as Chevron/Havoline or Exxon and changed it before 500 miles.

No, No, No...

I want to use the oil NOT for engine break in, but to use as part of assembly. Like lubing the rings, cylinder walls etc..

Maybe I really don't need a non-detergent oil at all. That's what I'm asking or now, I'm asking. Maybe I'm going over board with the non-detergent thing.

HD30 works well for installing the pistons. I have not seen a brand name ND30 in a long time, but a house brand should do just fine. I have played with installing them dry and it seems to work ok but it needs to be ready to fire soon after assembly. GM EOS is great stuff though I don't think I'd douse the new pistons and rings with it during assembly.

You can buy non-detergent oil? In the 60s we use to buy reclaimed oil because thats are we could afford. Just use the same oil you plan on running on a regular basis.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris142:
Just use some decient 5w30 or 10w-30 for piston and cyl wall lube.

Grab a qt of Havoline and you will be fine.

That's what I'll you then.

What is GM EOS?

Yes, you can still buy non detergent. On occasion you will still see it in farm and country stores. Non detergent 30W is carried at the TSC in Marshalltown, IA. However...I agree with the others. Don't use it in your application.

Most interisting to note, I know of a small engine rebuilder that uses,yup, grease,,,he says just a very thin transperant coat,,,,its works for them,as told it washes off in moter oil,,,and they never had a problem,,asked what brand etc,,,Valvoline MP lithium,,,,BL

quote:

Originally posted by Oil stain:

quote:

Originally posted by Chris142:
Just use some decient 5w30 or 10w-30 for piston and cyl wall lube.

Grab a qt of Havoline and you will be fine.

That's what I'll you then.

What is GM EOS?

EOS — Engine Assembly Prelube
Specifically formulated as an engine assembly lubricant. E.O.S. provides outstanding protection against run-in wear and piston scuffing, as well as run-in camshaft lobe and lifter scuffing resulting from insufficient lubrication.

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/PartsAccessories/EngineProducts.html

offtopic.gif
Accel,which is a product that is part of Warren Performance Products makes straight 30 weight Non Detergent oil.It is sold at the local Wal-Mart,I looked at a bottle just recently.

It states on the bottle that it is not suitable for use in post 1930/1931 motors/cars.

They also have a 10W-40 SF(I think?) rated oil on the shelf at WM under the Accel name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back