a random question for any ThinkPad owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a college student and I have a ThinkPad. I have owned a few in my time and I really like them.

However, you wouldn't believe all the people who act like they are computer experts who think that my ThinkPad sucks because either
1. "Lenovo? Is that some off-brand?"
or
2. "You can't get it in other colors? That sucks!"

Just wondered if anybody else has ever experienced this phenomenon.

Those people are also probably Mac users or think their computer is the best because it was $349 at Best Buy when you paid $1000 for yours like a "sucker."

I don't concern myselves with what they think...

McGregoir is right!

Why would you care about other computer user's feelings/remarks if your thinkpad works fine and gets the job done?

If you happen to be suffering from red-eye syndrome, I'm afraid there's nothing you can do about that. During days of recession where jobless skyrocketed and money becomes really tight, you shall learn to be greatful about what you currently have onhand (and working also).

also: I personally couldn't care less about the arguement rE: Mac vs PC for I work for an IT security company and I'm seeing fair share of issues/problems between the 2.

Q.

I have a thinkcentre desktop built just when lenovo was coming in to IBM manufacturign in China. It is solidly built and has been remarkably stable for 3.5 years now.

My wife and I have 2 ThinkPads (R51 and R60) and they're great; We don't care what Mac users or anyone else thinks. They're well built, dependable, and great for college and home use.
and they GREAT keyboards !!!

Originally Posted By: Ben Boyle

No, I have not, because I don't normally hang out with folks who talk computer gobbledigook. I only talk about computers if I have to.

I've experienced it.

I even had a coworker who used to refer to my old T20 as a "StinkPad."

Coincidentally, that T20 with a P3-700 cpu and 512 MB is still running 6 years later as a rather capable little Linux box.

Seriously???

Just ask them politely how that OSX 10.5.6 update went and offer your condolences.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2337151,00.asp

I use a Lenovo ThinkPad at work. I have no problems at all with it. If I could have any laptop I wanted, I'd have work provide me a Toughbook! The IBM/Lenovo machines are the only ones supported by IM so it is what it is. Very decent laptop.

Last edited:

However, you wouldn't believe all the people who act like they are computer experts who think that my ThinkPad sucks because either

They can't be much of an expert if they don't know that Lenovo acquired the product from IBM. I use a Thinkpad R61.

I don't know very much about oil, but that is why I spend some time on this board. But I do know a bit about thinkpads having owned over 30 of them over the years. I have had just about every model from the old 300 up to my current T61. Soon I will get an X301 as soon as the price comes down a little more. I use thinkpads 14 hours a day 365 days a year and would never consider using anything else.

Thinkpads in my opinion are the best laptop available anywhere. Here are a few reasons I think this:

1. Commercial quality and replaceable parts. Most laptops are designed to be disposable. If you break something like a keyboard or palmrest you might as well through it away as there is not getting parts for them. With thinkpads you can order any individual part and replace them. I wear out touch pads every 45 days and keyboards ever 2-3 months I can buy new ones from IBM and keep them in stock.

2. Reasonably prices. When you look at the quality of construction and components used. Then shop for thinkpads with the promotions available from lenovo you will not pay very much more than a much lower quality machine from Dell or HP.

3. Standardized keyboards. All thinkpads use the same keyboard layout and have had the same layout for 10 years. This is good because once it is wired into your brain you can maneuver on a thinkpad keyboard as fast a desktop keyboard. Anytime I have to use another type of laptop I get really frustrated because I have to keep looking for the keys like delete, page up, page down etc.

4. Resale value. Thinkpads hold their value better than any other machine on the market. Just look on ebay to see that 2 year old machine are almost the same price as new ones.

5. Rugged, they are not as rugged as a toughbook but they are still very good most of the models come with a magnesium roll cage. I have dropped thinkpads and broken the case and screen surrounds but they still boot up and work just fine.

Don’t let anyone tell you thinkpads suck because they do not. Since Lenovo purchase the thinkpad line the quality has been as good and I have had no complaints about them. They should not be confused with the Lenovo line as these are consumer quality machines and are simply not as good as thinkpads. Also the lower end thinkpads like the R series are not as good if you want a good machine get a T series and you can do no better. Some people are not happy with Lenovo support but with thinkpads you do not really need support like you do with other brands.

Nicolai

Originally Posted By: MinivanMauler
I've experienced it.

I even had a coworker who used to refer to my old T20 as a "StinkPad."

Coincidentally, that T20 with a P3-700 cpu and 512 MB is still running 6 years later as a rather capable little Linux box.

I replaced my T20 "tink-pad" with a iBook. It worked fine but i cracked the motherboard and frame after dropping it one to many times. So back to the Tinkpad. Still runs fine and is just as useful as ever running ubuntu. For what i do (firefox,email,im,irc,word processing, ssh) it does just fine. I bring it everyware and if it get stolen who cares. They are cheap as heck on Ebay and its whole drive is encrypted. Wouldnt be a big loss.

The overhead keyboard LED is way cooler then a light up keyboard anyways
LOL.gif

Last edited:
While IBM computers look like they came out in the 80s, they still hold up well long term. With Lenovo, it's still pretty good quality, given you pay a high price for it. Given how quality control in the computer field is pretty shady, I think you'd have about the same odds as getting a POS IBM/Lenovo as you would any other brand.

Lenovo has treated their laptops differently from their desktops. They've made great efforts to retain IBM's sterling quality reputation with the former.

A Lenovo Thinkpad is still comparable with the older IBM models where it matters; they are still top-notch machines that hold up to heavy use. I've handled the Macbooks up close - they are not in the same league once you get past the OS. The ONLY laptop that matches a TPad where hardware integrity is concerned is a Toughbook.

The Thinkcentre desktops are closer to a Dell or HP, but are still rock solid. And all the builder-installed software is actually useful on a Lenovo.

I've got IBM and Lenovo TPads and TCentres and speak from years of ownership. I'll regret the day my trusty T42 retires. I like it better than the newer widescreen T series; it's more portable. It's only shortcoming is that the trackpoint tips wear out too fast.

Who gives a rat's behind about the color? It's no-nonsense black, just like the machine inside. You can throw a TPad into a wall and it will keep going (true experience). Try that with a Dell, and you'll be picking up bits of chromed plastic all over the room.

I am a college student and I have a ThinkPad. I have owned a few in my time and I really like them.

or

That's because they're still boys.
A Thinkpad is for grown-ups.

The T-42 was bomb-proof. I had it for my sprint in college for electronics engineering. The next year I got a R-50 when I switched over to the PC tech program. Like night and day. Within 18 months of ownership by the college (leased to the students), over 20% had a critical mobo failure in the R-50. Sad, because there was only one reported case for the T-42, and the student in question was extremely questionable with his belongings...

My older Dell laptop was specifically picked because it was rated as slow, heavy, and had a poor price-to-performance ratio... But it had a bulletproof body, LCD lid, and hinges built like a sh*t-brick house!

The difference between a R and T series is like that between an A and S class Mercedes. Both are good, but one is exceptionally so.

I'm always surprised how many T42s and 43s I see in hospital duty, where they beat on the equipment like nobody's business, usually tethered to some diagnostic equipment.

I'm typing on a 14" T42 as I speak. My trusty three and a half year old Toshiba started acting up a couple of months ago and I decided it was not economically feasible to repair it. A relative had already picked up two of these at a computer fair and asked me if I wanted another.

After using this for 6 weeks I decided to also spring for a refurbed 15" T61 from a Lenovo partner. Although I thought I would prefer that to this little 14" unit, I' don't think I do. This is light, solid, fast - darn near perfect in every way. Assembly directions are available on line. I can see why people like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back