Cooper Tires - Made in China!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cornfused
I wander if it's all cooper's or just these? I've been lookin at gettin some cooper STT's for my truck. Hmmm... anybody know where Maxis Bighorn's are made?

I have the STTs on my Taco and they are awesome. I probably won't buy them again though.. especially if their made in China.

Cooper is an entry level tire, often used as loss-leaders in store advertisements to lure customers into the store with cheap priced tires and then they try to sell you a better brand tire for more money. I would steer clear of Coopers and every other off brand inexpensive tire- Hankooks, nankings,etc....just garbage.

Yeah.right.sure...

Cooper and Hankook off brand? I don't think so.

Like every tire line from EVERY manufacturer, there is good and bad to be had.

Alex.
Hankook Winter 909 one of the best winter tires I ever had.

Not all Cooper tires are made in China. I believe the CS4 Touring and their truck tires are made in the USA. It may be that that some of their broadline all season passenger tires are no longer made in the US because the tires have to priced like the competition. I had wondered why the tires were less expensive this time. To make sure of the country of origin you will probably have to go to the tire store and look at their stock. If you are so inclined, I would still support Cooper because it is still an American owned company.

Originally Posted By: GMGuy
Yeah.right.sure...

Alex.

Yeah, Mr GM...they are off-brand, even your employer doesnt put them on the mediocre vehicles they build- much less bmw/mercedes/audi/toyota/nissa/honda, or any other good car company.

Ive seen hankook tires as OEM on various vehicles. Cooper is a dedicated aftermarket manufacturer, IIRC.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
Yeah.right.sure...

Alex.

Yeah, Mr GM...they are off-brand, even your employer doesnt put them on the mediocre vehicles they build- much less bmw/mercedes/audi/toyota/nissa/honda, or any other good car company.

I hate to break it to you. Cooper doesn't supply the OEM market. This is off their website.

Quote:
Throughout its eighty-one year history, Cooper Tire has avoided the OEM market, preferring instead to stick to its role as a replacement tire manufacturer. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that the Ohio-based company has a lot riding, literally, on its latest offering, the CS4 Touring. Clearly, one of the most important products in its history, Cooper spent some $200 million to develop the new rubber.

Car manufactures don't install the BEST tire as OEM. It's all about bulk pricing. It's looks like Continental has won the recent OEM tire bid. You see the Conti-Pro Contact's on a lot of new cars, including my 07 Altima.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
With all of our manufacturing jobs leaving the USA, we are slowing killing our standard of living.
What is interesting is most people do not try to buy made in USA products as possible. In action not many seem to care.

Originally Posted By: cornfused

Hmmm... anybody know where Maxis Bighorn's are made?

Taiwan. Which stands to reason as Maxxis is a Taiwanese company.

762's are a bloody good tyre too. IMO as good or better than the just superseded BFG MT's.

Yeah.right.sure...

Alex.

My God man, do you have to sound like such a condescending jack-a$$? You could have conveyed your point in a manner that didn't berate the gentleman.....

I don't consider Cooper to be in the ranks of such garbage as Nangkang but they aren't Michelin. Sort of an in-between maker that makes some decent tires.

Huh...I though Maxxis tires were made in Mexico.

I had a set of Maxxis M-1's or something like that on my Aerostar. Great tires. Stood up to overloading and low pressure and all sorts of stupid tire abuse. The tires have a 50K treadlife. They were on it and not new or anything when I bought the van, and I put 32K on them myself. They were still good enough to pass TX inspection when I sold the van. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

I'm also partial to Laramie tires and I was pretty sure they are made in the USA but I'd have to research that.

I've never had a Cooper tire. I don't even know WHY I'm posting in this thread?!!

Quote:

So your definition of off-brand is any tire manufacturer that is not an OEM supplier? Well, it isn't.
Cooper is a manufacturer just as Bridgestone and Michelin are tire manufacturers. Thats the name on the building, thats the name on the tire.

Off-brand is a product made by a manufacturer with no outward indications of its source.
Ie: Ulysis. Made by Kuhmo. Sold as a cheap tire by Walmart and probably other places that offer low priced alternatives.
Ie: Arctic Claw. Made by Cooper, In the USA, sold as a lower cost snow tire line.

Alex.

Cooper is an entry level tire, often used as loss-leaders in store advertisements to lure customers into the store with cheap priced tires and then they try to sell you a better brand tire for more money. I would steer clear of Coopers and every other off brand inexpensive tire- Hankooks, nankings,etc....just garbage.

Actually, I've been using cheap, offbrand, not-quite-loss-leaders to lure customers into my establishment so that I could talk them UP to Coopers!

With only 38 YEARS in the tire business it's a shame I can't hire you as a product consultant to straighten me out. I'm sure my monthly tire expenditures would drop drastically!!! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ALONG with my sales!

Bob

Owners standards vary. Some like McDonalds,others Ruths Chris.Which would you rather work in? eat in? Its all about the size of the dream.No different with cars or tires.....there is Cooper and there is Michelin

Originally Posted By: Billy007
Some of WMart organic products are more expensive than whole foods
crazy2.gif
. They established themselves as the lowest price retailer and when you are not paying attention to their prices, they take advantage of you.

Only if you let them take advantage of you. Gotta keep your eye on the ball at all times, in any store.

You only get taken when you allow it to happen.

Owners standards vary. Some like McDonalds,others Ruths Chris.Which would you rather work in? eat in? Its all about the size of the dream.No different with cars or tires.....there is Cooper and there is Michelin

At least you've lost a bit of the arrogance, probably can't help but be a snob
frown.gif
. Quite a lot of difference in food and automotive parts and accessories. Comparing Cooper to Mich isn't really feasable, unless a indepth study of miles-per-dollar spent was undertaken.

By the way what part of the automotive industry are you a member of to give such knowledge?

Bob

Last edited:
Hardly being a "snob" to insist on the best quality of tire for your automobile....it is the only interface between machine and ground, is it not? More of a performance and SAFETY issue, and a poor area to try to squeeze a few dollars in savings by purchasing cheap products that are designed and built to be sold on price.Your car, your safety.....choose wisely, I rest knowing I do.

Originally Posted By: occupant
Huh...I though Maxxis tires were made in Mexico.

The man asked where Big Horns are made and all the ones I've seen come from their Taiwanese plant. (Head Office is in Taiwan)

They have other plants through Asia and you say Mexico as well.

And the Costco-special BFG Touring T/A Pro Series is made in Korea by Hankook for Michelin, while the BFG G-Force Sport is made in Thailand.

Toyo too makes tires in China, while Bridgestone makes cheaper ones in Hugo Chavez-land and Indonesia.

The Goodyear no-Integritys our Prius is wearing are made in Japan in a Falken plant, Goodyear owns Sumitomo Rubber Industry which owns Dunlop/Falken/Ohtsu. The Michelins on our Sienna and my Lexus are made in Greensville and Lexington, South Carolina respectively.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back