General Altimax HP ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may like to inflate the tires to 4 PSI above recommended pressure on the trip to TN, then reduce to 2 PSI above recommended pressure on the trip back home to check for performance, handling, ride, noise and gas mileage.

I thought about something similar...
recommended is 30 psi all 4.
I'm thinking 32 psi front and 30 back for normal driving...

need some PSI suggestions. on all cars I know, the front tires always have a little "bulge" on the bottom and look under inflated (despite being same as rears), suggesting that the engine is weighing them down, I think.

what do you think about 32 front and 30 rears (recommended is 30 all around)?
any other suggestions except HTSS_TR's suggestion of 34/32 for long trips ?

how about 34 fronts and 32 rears? will that cause premature wear?

Yeah... most cars are front-heavy, hence the bulge look. Adding 2 more PSI is not likely to get rid of it. :)

But you can run a few extra PSI without worrying about premature wear, me thinks.

wow. TR is FAST. it already shipped within 2 hrs of ordering!
Getting them installed on Sat.

If these prove to be good, I might get them for the Tbird in 235/60/16 when the Kumho KH16 reaches their end of life.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
need some PSI suggestions. on all cars I know, the front tires always have a little "bulge" on the bottom and look under inflated (despite being same as rears), suggesting that the engine is weighing them down, I think.

what do you think about 32 front and 30 rears (recommended is 30 all around)?
any other suggestions except HTSS_TR's suggestion of 34/32 for long trips ?

how about 34 fronts and 32 rears? will that cause premature wear?

I personally like to keep the rear tires at the recomeded PSI and add 2 PSI to the front tires. This seem to keep the ride consistant. Too much air in the rear tires tends to make the ride a little too harsh over inpact strips/ruts/pot holes. My wifes car recomends 30F/30R and my car recomends 29F/29R and I add 2 PSI to the front tires in both cars and leave the rears at the recomended PSI. When traveling on long tirps/vacation, I like to add even a bit more to the front and rear, maybe 2 PSI more in each tire. This seems to work for me but, you'll have to experiment with your application.

You don't need to debulge the tires.
I would run 4 pounds over for all four tires. That gives you a little extra without making them too hard. Besides, tires usually loose air over time, so that is why I go over 4 to 5 lbs, especially in winter.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
do you think extra 5 PSI would de-bulge?

You'd have to try and see, but I wouldn't worry about the look too much. The proper way to de-buldge would be to get larger rims and lower profile tires, alas I'm sure you're not going to go that route. :)

Thanks for ALL replies.
I guess i have start somewhere, so I think I'll go with 34 fronts and 32 rears and see how that works for now..

Another "?":
do you guys recommend getting the Tire Rack tire Hazard warranty? is it worth it? it's $28 for our 4 tires... i can still get it within 14 days after ordering...

I have never bought a road hazard warranty on a tire.

I can see if you have 20 inch tires or whatever, but for a 14 inch tire I just risk it..

You are insuring 4 $45 dollar tires for 28 bucks.

Nah, not worth it to me.

yeah I probably will not get it, I think...
these are 15's btw, and were $60 each,
so it sounds a bit different when one says: "$7 insurance for a $60 tire", but still, I see what you mean...probably not worth it..

I drove on the HPs tonite on frozen roads. Good traction, above average. Dry driving was fine. Smooth and quiet, but I can see how people say the sidewalls feel "thin". I think it's a great tire for the price. I just came off my Response Edge, man they are sweet tires.

Looking at the RT for the CRV next year, snow traction is a priority. Nice ride and good wear are important. Curently on ZE-912s and coming from TRZ.

Got the Altimax HPs installed today (195/60/15 H rated)
and it rained on the way home :)

First impressions are excellent; i know that the tires are brand new and they should feel good anyway, BUT I also remember wet weather performance from OTHER tires we had when THEY were new and in the rain...the Altimax definitely performs better than anything WE have tried so far: it's like there's no need to change anything during rainy weather...I did drive over a few spots of pooled water intentionally and not even a sign of hydroplaning...it just drove straight through with a SOLID feeling that was very reassuring.

so, for now, they're CLEARLY better than the KH14 Kumhos the Elantra had before, and the KH16 I have currently on Tbird...

Handling (didn't get to do much of anything special yet...TN trip coming up) is pretty good from what I can tell, and the braking on wet surface is EXCELLENT, that I COULD tell with confidence. it is clearly also quieter than both KH 14 and KH16, AFAI could tell. (difficult as it rained on and off).
The ride felt FIRMER than the KH14s we had on the Elantra, but not to the point of being harsh over any uneven surfaces/ridges on the road.

I know it's too early to jump for joy, but like i said I do remember how the other tires were when they were new too, so we are very happy and look forward to more testing during our 6-7 hr trip to TN...hopefully it snows a bit in the mountains :)

Oh, and they look really cool too...nice tread pattern adds a touch of class.

will update again after the 14 hr interstate round-trip to TN. (or perhaps after the "to" trip, if I can stand that slow-arse desktop my MIL has)

New tires are needed to break in the first few hundreds miles, drive easy the first couple hundreds miles then you can test the handling, performance and braking ...

If they have my size (235/45-17) I would buy it, but the closest size 245/45-17 is too large for my car '00 E430

yeah...I think by the time we go to TN, the tires will have about 500 miles on them actually...
I just looked and they do come in the 235/60/16 for my Tbird (oem 225), but it will be some time before I'll need new tires for the Tbird...the Kumho KH16's are still pretty new...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back