Husky snowblower with tecumseh engine syn oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like to know what synthetic oil would be best to used in this flat head tecumsha engine? I have some 5w30 Valvoline syn power, 5w30 M1 in the garage. I noticed people like the PP Penzoil platnum.

I have a flat-head Tecumse engine on my Snow-Blower and I'm using Amsoil 10W30 4 Stroke engine oil in it. It starts very very easy and the oil stays clean for about 3 years of use. Only takes 1 bottle to fill my snow-blower and I use the blower about twice a week for about 2-3 hours each time during our winters...

My .02

Use a 5W-30 or 10W-30 fully synthetic oil with a GRP IV base and 1200 ppm of zinc and phosphorous for good boundry lubrictaion which act as sacrificial meteal especially around the bearing areas and cylinder. These are very had working engines espescially in snow that's around 6-10". You can hear the govenor kick in quite often.

You can look this up in VOA's posted.

M-1 EP is GRP IV with nice amounts of ZDDP.

Amsoil $10/qt oils are as well.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm from Mass too, enjoying the weather?

I did a little tune up to our blower with a Tecumseh engine and used Rotella 15w-40. Thick you say?

Today was our real first snow day. I had to start it up with the electric starter (it always needed the electric starter when it was sub 35F, by the way).

My point is, use whatever you want

Last edited:
Hey, not to hijack your post, but...
How do you guys get your snowblowers to start on the first couple pulls? How many times do you prime it?

I changed the spark plug on ours, and used fairly fresh fuel. I have a hard time believing that oil weight would make that much of a different at 0C-32F. It runs well once it starts though.

Last edited:
Hey bigsteve, is it this one?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/...e&Special=false

Also, I think it makes a world of difference if a snowblower is stored in a heated garage or not. If it's in a heated (50F+) garage, I'd use just about any 10W-30 oil when new (I like a lot of ZDDP, moly and/or boron) and switch to a 15W-40 after a few seasons. Change frequently when new than once per year afterwards.

If not in a heated garage (very cold start) I'd recommend one of the synthetics previously mentioned above.

Originally Posted By: xpeteyjtx
Hey, not to hijack your post, but...
How do you guys get your snowblowers to start on the first couple pulls? How many times do you prime it?

I changed the spark plug on ours, and used fairly fresh fuel. I have a hard time believing that oil weight would make that much of a different at 0C-32F. It runs well once it starts though.

1st step is Brand new gas, IE bought TODAY, and not mixed with the rest of what's in the can... September's fuel still has summer requirements then they are quickly relaxed going into winter.

Summer gas has a real low vaporization pressure for smog reasons and just doesn't light off all that well.

How much prime and choke etc is unique to your machine's personality. (Mine for example will start on the first pull, run a bit, then foul out and be harder to restart, despite "perfect timing" fiddling with the choke.) Watch your exhaust for black smoke when you start it, you will probably get some for the first few seconds which means it's rich enough. I wind up doing a row in 1st gear with half choke to warm it up under load before going nuts.

On our snow blower we run it almost out of gas before storing, then in the fall we pull it out and fill it with fresh gas and run it a bit to get the carb. full of fresh fuel. I always add MMO or Lucas to the fuel to add a bit of lubrication to the carb. and fuel system. Then when the first snow fall comes, I hit the prime button 3 times, set the choke to full, and the throttle to half way and give it a pull. It usually starts within the first/second pull. Then I wait till it warms up and I have turned the choke off and go to it. Then before I shut it down, I run the throttle to FAST and then shut-er-down. I then fill the fuel tank back up and she's good to go again!
grin2.gif
I only tune it up and change the oil every 3 years and our blower gets a ton of use where I live.

Also my dads a mechanic so the Carb. was re-tuned from the factory to run a tad richer than what was specified to make cold-starting a bit easier. I find they always lean them out as much as possible for pollution control I guess... So we always give the mixture screw about 1/8th of a turn more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back