10w30 in winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom's car needs to have its oil changed within the next few weeks and calls for either 5w30 or 10w30. I have a 5 qt jug of valvoline conventional leftover of 10w30 and don't want it to go to waste. Would it be ok to use it in the winter? I leave in PA so it doesn't get drastically cold here, but 30's is not abnormal for us.

Our winters are about the same here too. Sometimes it can get in the upper teens. Alot of guys here use 10W30 with no issues. To me thinner the better.

I'd get 5w30 for winter and use the 10w30 next spring. 5w30 will flow faster in the Pa. winter which is similar to NY. If it were a full PAO synthetic I'd say go for it. What kind of vehicle?

Last edited:
I have a bunch of GTX 10w-30 jugs I dostributed to a few friends for this Fall, but they are slow getting it in, so I guesss it's their Winter oil.

What would the fuel economy penalty be vs. 5w30? maybe 1% if you do lots of short trips? Over a 5000 mile interval at 25 mpg, that might use up 2 gallons extra gas.

10w30 will work fine in that climate. Our Jeep had 10w30 in it all last winter here in MN, and lived to tell the tale... (Of course, the garage helped on the cold mornings...)

If your mom parks her car in the garage at night, she won't even notice the 10W-30 conventional is in her car all winter. But if she parks it outside at night, she might complain about the engine starting slow on those single digit and below zero mornings that wander into the area sometimes when she trys to go to work.

Also, don't forget about the battery, washer fluid and anti-freeze condition. This may be more noticeable than oil on a frigid morning.

6 degrees F outside this morning. The Taurus has 10w-30 TA installed. Car cranked right up......no noise, no banging, no tapping.

There's a guy I work with that uses 10w30 in the winter time in his pickup,because he's "scared" to use 5w30.

Funny hearing that poor ol truck tryin to start @ -15 degrees,while the Explorer fires up in no time at all
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: DragRace
There's a guy I work with that uses 10w30 in the winter time in his pickup,because he's "scared" to use 5w30.

Funny hearing that poor ol truck tryin to start @ -15 degrees,while the Explorer fires up in no time at all
crackmeup2.gif

I am a die hard 10w30 guy, but it rarely gets below 0F here (happens to have hit zero earlier this evening). In SD I would be scared to run 10w30 in winter, without a pan heater.

It is your mother's car. Cough up for some 5W-30. I was running 10W-40 in the bad winters of 77-78 in -28 and the car sat outside. I got it started, but give your mother all the help you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back