Additive For 1954 Briggs Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided to take the old engine apart at the base and clean any sludge that might have accumulated over the years. So know that I am ready to put some good detergent oil in I am wondering if I should go ahead and add an additive to the oil. I will running Mobil Delvac 1300s CJ-4/SM oil. So if any one could give me some advice that would be awesome.

I would think that if your Briggs engine was built in 1954 it would probably be speced for non detergent oil, that just my thought.

You can use any new oil on your motor.

I would use a HDEO and call it a day. If that engine got this far on the Non detergent oil back then, a HDEO will keep it SQUEAKY clean!!!

You could even use a Synthetic or High Mile oil if you would want to try them.

I would not use a additve.

Or a straight 30 weight detergent would suffice IMO. A detergent oil should not hurt things. However, if you're like me than you would be loath to argue with success, so it would probably keep getting whatever its received for the last 55 years.

I use Amsoil Power-Stroke 10w30 in my B&S engines... It keeps them exceptionally clean inside and the oil stays very clean over the 3 years I run it for before changing... We use these engines a lot too because we live on a huge property, so their is always a lot of grass to cut or snow to throw...
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back